Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'98 Legacy GT. The steering feels stiff to me lately. It seems like it "sticks" wherever it's at(as in, it resists turning if straight, or resists returning to center if turned). Kind of hard to pinpoint, but just doesn't feel right to me. PS pump has fluid(at proper level).

Any thoughts on this?

try spraying somre lubricant on the steering u joint. it it is old and stiff it may be your problem. the spray will only be a short term fix, but at least you will know what the problem is. you can swap in any steering u-joint 95 - 99 that is NOT and outback. outback is different.

an oil can with 30wt oil may do the job, if you can reach it, and it may last longer.

try spraying somre lubricant on the steering u joint. it it is old and stiff it may be your problem. the spray will only be a short term fix, but at least you will know what the problem is. you can swap in any steering u-joint 95 - 99 that is NOT and outback. outback is different.

an oil can with 30wt oil may do the job, if you can reach it, and it may last longer.

When I went looking for a u-joint to use in the Brat for a lift, I saw no difference in a 95-99 Legacy and Outback. They appeared identical to me.

And thanks, I'll check the u-joint. Belt is good, it's not that old, and no signs of it slipping.

When I went looking for a u-joint to use in the Brat for a lift, I saw no difference in a 95-99 Legacy and Outback. They appeared identical to me.

The outback steering coupler is longer between the two u-joints because they have spacers between the body and the crossmembers on the outbacks.

Last one I bought was $75 new from the dealer, so they're not too expensive to replace. Just don't spin the steering wheel while you have the coupler removed, the clock spring connector for the airbag will break and that's much more expensive to fix.

• 2 weeks later...

With the recent cold weather blast here in Denver, I've noticed the issue a bit more. And it feels like a U-joint, in that it is stiff, then turns easier, then gets stiff again. Haven't poked my head down there yet, but I may just go grab another at the junkyard for cheap, and swap it out.

• 4 weeks later...