Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heating up my brat bed??

Hey Bennie ,Thanks for the info on 'Ute Swags... Look good execpy i have a canopy "glued" on to my brat.its there for good.

You're not thinking out side the box - as we all need to do with our subarus to get what we want! I was thinking that you could make up something that covers the rear of the canopy and the tail gate when both are open. This would give you an extra foot of length easy and it'll keep the weather out at the same time if you've made it properly.

How do you go with condensation build up over night? My thoughts are that it would be dripping wet in there!

ing 016You know the converter would be a overkill for what i want to do.i don't want to heat it for the night ,just warm enough to get undressed and in the sack without freezing my duff off.It just happened enough that instead of crawling in the back i grab a cheap motel..$$$ so what would be great is to open her up and then the whole area would be warm enough to get to bed and have alot more room to streach out in.So just take a sawzal and buzz down both sides and then bend the flap back into the bed for extra support.I could bolt that down and smooth it out or is that too much? And then get a roll bar of sorts. Has any one done this.i sure would like to see a "proto type" before i plug in the sawzal!!

I would have thought that the rear wall was there for strength as well as stopping what ever you've got out back joining you in the front in the event of a crash. May be a foldable roller door could be the trick - still keeps the wall and window in there, yet folds up so you can warm the rear section/access the rear easily. When it's down you could have it latch in place to lock it in - this would also add some strength to torsional forces but probably wouldn't hold up well in a crash unless you had some great fabrication skills and good latches as well.

I also have a Cruze control i got from down under.. A AP 60 from Auto piolet?? Has anyone installed one on a Gen 1 or is an 1984 a gen 2?? Its a 1800 pushrod without turbo,stick. or should this question be in a different spot. so back to the main subject.....some pictures of a opened up brat would be great.Thanks again,Todd

I got the same one installed on my L series. It doesn't matter if you're carb'd EFI or diesel. All you need is vacuum, power and sort out locations for the cruise control's throttle cable, speed sensor, control pad and where the vacuum actuator will be located.

It's simple to install. Before you try using it make sure it's calibrated properly as I took off all excited and it didn't work - then I read the instructions and did the calibration etc and it's worked a treat since. Makes long distance driving piss easy now. Here's a link to my setup. I'm now getting a very small surging, it's either the magnets have moved since sand 4wd'n or the sensitivity is set too high with all the gear loaded up in the vehicle.

Cheers

Bennie

I would be concerned about making the whole cab cold if you cut the bulkhead out. My Brat doesn't have a tailgate, but I don't think any part of that bed is insulated well enough to hold in the heat that heater puts out.

I would put some separate heater in the bed, or your dryer duct idea (so it could be shut off, and keep the cab warm while driving) first.

A seperate heater box in the bed is the best way. If you duct air from the front it won't get nearly as warm because you're venting the air out all the leaks in the bed. With a heater back there the hot air will recirculate and get hotter instead of being wasted. Many SUV's and vans have auxiliary rear heaters that should be cheap and easy to find in a junkyard. Run some insulated copper pipe to the back and you'll be toasty.

• Like 1

Wow,W W ,I thought I was old!!! Glad your still up and around...So I think I will try the Dryer vent tube first just because it is the easist and If it dosn't work I can just pactch it back up. Then if that dosn't heat it up enough I'll go for a heater core off something.So thank you all for your imput. But If anyone has pictures of a brat with the back wall removed I sure would want to see it Just in case.......Keep on Subin !! thanks,Todd:banana:

• 2 weeks later...

You know your right.....but.... It would be nice to have the heat and the extra room..I have used a 88 wagon a few times and that worked good. I just like the t tops down in the desert heat. I probley won't cut the back out,that would involve alot of work.The vent tube still seems like it would work.I have sealed up the canopy and any holes in the bed,then covered the floor with blue foam camping pads.I thought if i had a long enough tube I could just run it right into my sleeping bag to warm it up.Then have a string tied to the tube so after it has warmed the bag up I pull the string that pulls the tube out to heat the "bedroom" HaHa.....I just get to thinkin too much...Anyway I'll let you all know how the tube works.Like I have said I just want to take the chill of so I can hop into the sack without freezing my duff off....Take care ,Todd

With a good bag its no problem.Some of my best camping trips were in the snow...Its just the getting in and out thats the problem.I'm kind of a late sleeper so the mornings shouldn't be too bad.Its just getting in there comfortabley that I'm shootin for..Shawn,Thank you again for helping me with that blown headgaskets in my time of need.Its still purring,I had to drive it from California to your place with the defrost on full blast to keep from over heating and it was in the 90s when i left the Salton Sea..Our Subarus are one tuff machine .I hope bussiness is doing good for you.....Happy Trails,Todd. P S off subject but....I just found out that "todds " my first membership is still here.I opened old sub freak just cause i was in a hurry and needed some info....so I had forgot my password,How do fix that? I want my seniority back..haha

Edited by old sub freak
spaced

OSF,

Thought about an inverter and an electric blanket? Could be a rather large inverter though!

Bonuses of this - easy to remove/reverse and if you go with a dual battery setup you could keep it on for a bit after you get into bed!

That was my random thought in the middle of teaching a class today...

Cheers

Bennie

OSF,

Thought about an inverter and an electric blanket? Could be a rather large inverter though!

Bonuses of this - easy to remove/reverse and if you go with a dual battery setup you could keep it on for a bit after you get into bed!

That was my random thought in the middle of teaching a class today...

Cheers

Bennie

Reading thru the responses, I'm inclined to agree with the electric blanket and seat heater routine, with the second battery. If you're prepared, and "prime" the rear area by trying to heat it up for a while before you stop, maybe it would work to take the edge off the cold before you get into the bag. I assume you'll have something on the bed floor to soften it up, so if you put down a few quilts, then the electric blanket, it might work like a radiant floor heating system. I agree with the guy who mentioned condensation earlier. I think you'll get a lot in there over night. Does your AC work, to de-humidify in the morning? You might have trouble with the windows fogging up afterward.

Man ..That looks like a industrail hair dryer !!Hmmm,mabey one of those to warm things up in the morning..I usually sleep with a window opened a little.I have left the t-top open to the first stop and then with the rear window open that seemed to work the best.But depending how cold it is I may button her up and just open a window in the AM..The electric blanket would work good but the expence to get it there would more that I want to spend on this project.Every time I turn on the defrost I think how hot it is coming out and how cheaply I could get into the backroom...I have covered the floor with blue foam camping pads and a 8"Goose down comforter I got at a second hand store in Palm Springs to make it comfey.I'll keep you all posted how this project plays out...Happy Trails,Toddnick

• 3 months later...

http--,,--//ZtiSoF3.jpgWell I fiannly installed the 4 inch tube to the bed and it works GREAT!!!!! Within 10 minutes its nice and warm.i bet after driving all day it will be toasty warm.Like I said I just wanted to have a warm place "to lay my head" and this will do it.her's some pictures.i hope they turn out I'm still learning..C ya,OSFLIlGk4P.jpg

Edited by old sub freak
  • Like 1

the dash shot shows the defrost "reflector" or "deflector" hmmm I think its a deflector....   Without the defrost tubing it needs help.,This R/B can keeps the windshield clear..I love it !!!..http--,,--//Tzv0gA7.jpgThanks  ,But the hole can be covered easly and I know its a crazy idea but I believe in "Fuction before fashion !!!When i'm on the road there is stuff all over the front seat so it won't stick out too bad. Man it throws out the heat....heres the back view.and like I said when its not needed i can easly remove it and put everything back as is...well other than the hole.and i always say "If someone sees that hole ....there lookin too close haha  http--,,--//ZtiSoF3.jpg

Edited by old sub freak

Well Misfit I'm 6'3" and I'm ok with it .i sleep corner to corner  without any complaints.In a different Brat I made a plywood deck that was even with the top of the wheelwells.My wife and I slept in the back on a few roadtrips and was fine with it.i did bump my head a few times though...  Anyway I think I solved the heating problem w/o too much work or $$...Can't wait to try it...OSF