Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's a BRAT!

Fso

Hey guys I figured since I decided to keep the Brat I wanted to make a journal to log all my super sweet adventures with my 1987 Subaru Brat.

I bought it I believe July 22, 2012.

Since then I've been having a blast with it.

I've made some small changes to it, and plan to do a complete restoration over the next year or so.

Here's how she sat when I first picked her up in Austin.

20120722_175647.jpg

As I was leaving to head back to Houston I noticed something in the parking lot 2 down from where I bought my car.

204.jpg

I couldn't believe I saw the second Brat in my life 20 minutes after buying mine!

So I get it home, and first thing I do is take it to the car wash.

214.jpg

217.jpg

Then I had to test out the 4WD just a little to make sure it's working :brow:

211.jpg

210.jpg

205.jpg

It works great!

Although after that I put it back in FWD and my 4WD light stayed on O_O.

(any input on how to turn it off would be great)

This was all back in July/early August.

Fast forward to this month The Gillman Subaru Big Event was a blast with the Brat and everyone loved it!

I Repainted the wheels and washed, clay barred, waxed the whole shebang the night before the meet :-p

Turns out I slept in after working on the car until 4:30 in the morning. I showed up late to the meet and didn't get to be judged, so no prize for me :horse:

Here's the pic from the event.

552357_507318822612606_103195522_n.jpg

548287_507317835946038_1041572268_n.jpg

523819_507318895945932_769913_n.jpg

156587_507318802612608_278269105_n.jpg

12651_507318929279262_1008667237_n.jpg

Just so everyone knows. I did plan on selling the Brat, to get my girlfriend an automatic (because I wanted too not because she asked me too)

After the event and seeing how much fun and attention the car got.

I plan on keeping it forever!!

Currently looking for parts for the interior, and will update as I can!

Great looking Brat, super clean! I bet you also got for a good price, would've been a shame to get rid of it so soon, if it at all! ;) Just a quick tip to the faded front bumper and rear caps, Plasticote makes a blacker bumper spray paint that works pretty darn well and would bring those pieces up to speed with how the rest of the exterior looks. You'd also be surprised how well a set of stainless steel trim rings finish off the stock steelies as well!

P.S. I also recently noticed a few "Tan Color" NOS interior items on good ole fleebay!

It doesn't need a whole lot, but when I say restored I mean perfect. It has some rust on the tail gate and in the bed.

I need quite a few interior pieces as well.

My plan is to fix the rust and have the car resprayed. Hopefully that'll happen some time.next year.

Thanks alot for the positive comments guys!

use turtle wax trim restorer on the bumper and all the black plastic pieces like mud flaps, mirrors, and side moldings ect. works fantastic i use it on my 85 and it last about 3 or more months then you put some more on, you planning on any customations or anything? im working on mine when i can it gets addicting:brow:http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=133905

you have the most beautiful BRAT I have ever seen! Love the color too!

Re: 4wd light on, my '86 does the same thing. I'd be interested to know how you solve that. I haven't looked into it as I have so much other stuff on my list of things that it's pretty much near the bottom.

Good luck with your awesome awesome awesome car! I'm jealous!

I think the 4wd light switch is located under the console plastic. It's a small switch with a little metal arm that is moved when the lever is pushed into 4wd hi/lo. It could be hung up/stuck/or bent, and is probably worth looking at. Hope that helps.

Clean Brat!

I think the 4wd light switch is located under the console plastic. It's a small switch with a little metal arm that is moved when the lever is pushed into 4wd hi/lo. It could be hung up/stuck/or bent, and is probably worth looking at.

Believe that's the switch for 4-Low.

FSM says 4WD switch is on the upper right side of the transfercase, just in front of the top cover.

Plunger on switch is most likely gummed up with varnish from the trans lube. Mainly from not being activated often.

Should be able to remove switch and clean it with some electrical spray, see if it frees up.

Not sure on best way to remove switch though. From inside or underneath. Haven't had to do that.

:-p

use turtle wax trim restorer on the bumper and all the black plastic pieces like mud flaps, mirrors, and side moldings ect. works fantastic i use it on my 85 and it last about 3 or more months then you put some more on, you planning on any customations or anything? im working on mine when i can it gets addicting:brow:http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=133905

I will be looking in to that some more, I also wanted to try out that new stuff called "wipe new". The commercial looks exactly like what I need. :-p

As far as custom, all it has is the retrofitted r-134 and the webber carb.

I am going back and forth on wether I want to go completley original or a bit of custom stuff.

Edited by Fso

The 4wd HI light is on the rear end of the bottom of the 4wd handle.

Its under the plastic center console stuff, there is a little bracket behind the lever that holds the switch in place.

With my Brat, the lever would keep popping the switch out of its bracket whenever it was moved.

I just put a ziptie around the switch loosely so it would shut off the light on the dash.

Currently it dangles out of the side of the console behind my seat, this way I can turn the switch on and off if I so choose. :lol:

BTW nice Brat! Dont ever let your woman tell you what to do with your cars. ;)