Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Since we have not had a good religon discussion lately. lets talk religon - Motor Oil

What? A whole thread on oil on a Subaru site and no mention of Castrol GTX? What's wrong here? Castrol was the ONLY oil recommended in the Suby owners manuals in the 70's 80's... am I wrong?

Well, let me tell ya. when I started working on cars professionally, in the late 70's, the way oil was explained to me was there were eastern and western oils. The eastern oils, Quaker state, Pennzoil, etc, were a paraffin wax base and the western oils, Valvoline, Texaco, etc, were not. After pulling the valve covers off die hard Quaker state fans engines, and looking like I just popped the mold off of a Jello or a bundt cake, I opted for Valvoline, till I was turned on to Castrol through Subaru, and that's all I've used since. I have never had an oil related failure and feel that synthetic is better but a waste of money on a daily driver since I can't let it go for more than 4k miles because it's DIRTY!!

BUT... I will be looking into the P6 recommendation by GD because I value his opinion and facts is facts, right?

So, any other Castrol com padres out there, 10-40 in the winter, 20-50 in the summer? Those were the good ol days right? :D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I knew where the forum was that i found once about oil tech, this was way back when i first found out about USMB, and I used to use Castrol synthetic, but then when i read about the background and makeup of oils I found that castrol was actually a blend of synth and regular oil, (supposedly and back then, this was probably 8 years ago+ now), and they had bad things to say about walmart synth, what it was made of and where, etc. Seems there were all these deeper properties to oil i had never heard of or imagined. One for example that seemed very important to me was in the capability of the oil to sustain or reinvigorate the seals and thus lengthen their lifetime. So back then i changed to Mobil 1 religiously for the life of that 97 legacy, and it really ran well to about 330 k till i sold it due to overheating. But then whoever bought it fixed it and resold it again and it's probably still out there. But sad to say after it did overheat and as i bought this new(er) older 95 legacy, i have just put the cheapest thing that will read on the dipstick in it, maybe foolishly. I buy those specials at autozone or whatever, right now peak for filter and 5 qt. jug for something like 14 bucks? You gotta check the sales too at Oreilly in the quarts section. They had this GREAT deal once where i think if you bought texaco havoline in the jug it was 10 bucks but they sent you a gift card for 5 bucks. shoulda cleaned up on that one, stopped at every oreilly i passed...But as for the age of many of these 90s year subys, i feel like it's the law of diminishing returns anymore, i mean how many years are you really gonna get out of them? (Unless you happen to find like a garaged one with low miles, and they are out there.)

:)

'97

Edited by 1997reduxe

Forgot to add my 2 cents about filters. :rolleyes: And I think someone else brought up Wix as well previously but I'll second that! A few years ago I cut open a bunch of filters to compare and boy, was I surprised! I used to think Fram made a good filter... what a joke! Chincy piece of bent sheet metal for a bypass spring. Seems like Purolater wasn't too bad but Wix had the best materials and construction of any I found. The Napa gold series is the same thing made by Wix for them. I did this before Fram and others started offering the "extra-guard" or whatever so I suppose I should check them out just to be fair but I doubt they'll be much better.