Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Adding Power Door Locks and windows to a Legacy Brighton

I just bought this 95 Legacy wagon and it is a Brighton. I'm wondering how hard it is to convert it over to power locks and possibly power windows. I guess the three big questions are:

Does the Brighton have the wiring in the door already for the power locks and windows?

Are the doors themselves the same with or without power?

What parts other than the power bits inside the doors would I need?

I'm pretty sure I know of one or two cars in junkyards that I can steel all the parts from, just a matter of knowing what to get.

Keith

I have a Brighton myself and I have had to get to the front doors inards a couple of time. I dont remember seeing any wiring there except for an extra speaker. But maybe I did'nt look hard enough...

You are biting off a big chew here. I suspect that there will be no wiring harnesses to any of the 5 doors. There will be no door lock selenoids, or relays. As far as the power windows are concerned, ditto all of the above, plus switches in each door and some sort of cover over the holes left in the door panels from the removed window cranks. As well, there is a spring inside the power window assembly that must be freezed up, usually with a nut and bolt, while the unit is being installed , and removed immediately afterwards, and all of this must be done...after the glass is removed from the door in most cases. I'm a backyard mechanic who has been in the backyard a while, and the thought of this one scares even me. This is not a weekend do it yourselfer unless you have lots of time and patience.

Hah! And here I was, wondering if I could switch the power windows and locks OUT of my 96 Legacy so I could get the oldfashioned handpowered sort!

(I'd offer to trade you cars, but I love mine even though it has those annoying power windows and locks.)

Kaja-the-fuddy-duddy