Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quiet Riot. My 87 GL-10

AKghandi

yessss!!!!!my lift got here!! Thank you Mr.Omlin!!

The box was just about to fall apart lol

img00339.jpg

Very high quality for how much I payed, all grade 8 hardware and nice welds. I need to paint it but I got some 99 cent black so that will work.

img0034kp.jpg

Now I just gotta figure out how to get my rear struts off, as they are oem from 87, so they have some separation issues.

my plans are lift, new struts, and new front C/Vs, I now have everything I need.

Should have it all done in about a week

:headbang::clap::headbang::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Edited by AKghandi

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah im a big fan of oldies jim croce, don mclean, queen, heart,neil diamond,ACDC aerosmith pretty much anything that was made before i was born.:D i'm the oldest 19 year old you will ever meet.

in other news i figured out and repaired the antifreeze leak, the small hose that goes from the intake manifold to the TB was split so i got a piece from the garage and put it in and all is well.:clap:

:burnout:Very nice, I like it!:D

This kit is so nice I almost feel bad only paying $120 for it, I feel like it should be worth $220. Although I'm not complaining:headbang:

Thanks!, I'm not really a fan of new music, or today's pop culture.

My Generation scares me, I have only found a couple people my age that are even halfway intelligent. most of them are trying to be "gangsta", when their mom still drops them off at school.:lol:I'm not going to get any more cynical but I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I have also found a good idiot repellent, blast some "Bohemian rhapsody", "i did it my way","luck be a lady" or "American pie" and sing along full blast while your driving. Anyone who likes "snooki" or "jwow" or updates their FB status every 3 minutes will run screaming.:clap:

Edited by AKghandi

Ok I need to vent, today I started the long and painful process of removing the stripped rear strut bolt.

I got 2 out of the 3 bolts for the passenger side strut off.:D which is more than I had before.

The last one is seemingly inseparable from the car.:horse:

It was getting late so I decided to give up and put the other 2 bolts back in, and of course that couldn't be too hard right? wrong.

The bottom bolt that attaches the strut to the control arm stripped the welded nut. of course.:banghead:

Good news though, after about 35 tense high voltage minutes, I got my welder working again.:clap::clap:

So now I just gotta get a 17mm nut to weld onto the stripped bolt and find a nut and bolt for the bottom.

I haven't even started on the other side yet..hopefully it wont be too much of an issue.HOPEFULLY.

In other news I got some more parts for my car. some offroad lights a new front bumper and the trim piece that goes between the bumper and headlights/grill. I also got some new horns as mine are just pathetic.

Stay tuned!! Eventually I will be lifted!

My Generation scares me, I have only found a couple people my age that are even halfway intelligent. most of them are trying to be "gangsta", when their mom still drops them off at school.:lol:I'm not going to get any more cynical but I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I have also found a good idiot repellent, blast some "Bohemian rhapsody", "i did it my way","luck be a lady" or "American pie" and sing along full blast while your driving. Anyone who likes "snooki" or "jwow" or updates their FB status every 3 minutes will run screaming.:clap:

Wow, how awesome of a mentality you have! Down to earth and not pig headed.

Yes you are way above your stated age of 19, I really like how you think about working on your car and ect, I wish we were closer, I would enjoy meeting you.:cool:

Good luck with getting all your strut bolts out,I know first hand how that one or 2 bolts can really :Flame: ones Hyde...:banghead:

Well you might get your wish, my brother lives pretty close to Wichita and I'm planning on visiting him soon so who knows.

I still haven't gotten anywhere with that strut bolt. I spent a few hrs doing some "attempted welding". sounds like a crime :lol:

So tomorrow I'm taking the car to a shop and a guy who knows how to weld. Hopefully his MIG welder will work better than my tiny arc welder. I'm no master welder (I've actually only welded once before.) but I don't think it should be that hard to weld a nut to a bolt.:-\

Sweet! Let me know when you are heading this way:D

As far as welding goes, using a mig is easier.

If you have to arc it practice on some scrape if you can.

Any sort of wind or breeze is going to make either one harder, not impossible just Harder.

No welding a nut to bolt won't be greatly hard. One just needs to get fair amount of bite into both the bolt and nut to get it to hold.

Arc welding takes more practice, I think, mig is considerably more forgiving.

Hopefully I'll have the Brat acquired that I've got my eye on before you come down this way, so that I'll be able to show it to someone who can truly appreciate a Soobe:D

Good luck with the guy at the shop.

yeah I might be moving down to Oklahoma so having some subaru people somewhat near by will be helpful. I don't think I'll even be able to find an old GL there.

The problem I was having is I couldn't get it to arc, I'd get as close as i could without touching then it would just spark a little and stick,

I could only manage a little bead.

But I have the whole day tomorrow to get that bolt out with a shop and a lot of good quality tools at my disposal.

I'm going to install the lift even if I have to weld it to the car.

This kit is so nice I almost feel bad only paying $120 for it, I feel like it should be worth $220. Although I'm not complaining:headbang:

:lol: to the last part, and i have to agree there is a lot of dumb asses in are generation i really do hate most of the music they make now days, a lot of people i know like dub step and im like its stupid it doesn't even have words. i guess im one of the few teenagers out there that actually rather be outside working on cars(subaru's:D) instead of sitting all dad playing a x-box or ps3

also can't wait to see lift installed with pics:popcorn: also subscribed

Tundrabrat: wow! That thing looks stout! I'm interested to see how it will look after the lift/tires. next summer we may need to go wheeling and show a couple jeeps how its done:headbang:

turbosubarubrat: Thanks! I've been following your thread from the start and i have to say its coming along very nicely! cant wait to see it done and painted.

yeah.. I'd rather work on a car than most anything. It doesn't even have to be my car, I work on anyone's car. sometimes when I go to look at a car for sale and decide I'm not interested, I'll fix a couple simple things so they can sell it easier. I just love working on cars. Its something I'm truly good at.

And no one wants to see my car lifted more than I do! :D but when i planned this all out in my head I didn't think about the possibility of a very stuck bolt...

I shall not be thwarted be a mere bolt!:-p

After 8 long hours I finally got everything in the rear installed.:headbang::headbang:

couldn't with all the tools get that bolt out, so I cut the head off the bolt and welded the lift to the car.

driver side went pretty easy.

both struts top hat bolts were completely rusted. so I had to cut them off to put the new struts on.

img0046qp.jpg

img0045oi.jpg

plans for tomorrow: front lift, should go smoothly, and front c/vs.

I also got some work lined up at that shop, I got a clutch to do tomorrow on a 01 neon. should be pretty easy.

Edited by AKghandi

Looks very good,well done.

There are GLs to be had, they are just not as plentiful as some other parts of the country.

As far as there being a bunch of Soobie nuts around, I have not run into any in my neck of the country here, aside from myself of course.:D

Thanks! If I had known it was going to be this difficult I probably would have just sold the lift to tunradbrat lol\

I'm just glad the hard part is over.

I really hope theres some subies down there I dont wanna have to drive a 2wd.. even if they only get like 2 inches of snow. If I cant find a subaru I'll end up gettin a Fiero and sticking a v8 into it. and something tells me that wont be good for my health...

yeah I cant imagine theres too many subaru nuts there, not like it really snows or theres any real mountains.

Wow that's not bad!, but that price is pretty steep for me. its a fair price for the car, turbo 4x4 touring wagon with 170k nice. Get it if you can, looks like a solid car.

I actually had someone try to give me one like that(not touring) with a new motor and everything, but it was trashed and i had no where to put it.. I wish I hadn't passed on it, there were a lot of good parts there.

You might wanna start looking into magical squirrels..he seems to want one pretty bad lol.

that car would go for 2000 at most up here. 2500 will get you a completely rust free showroom car with like 100k. they pop up every now and then.

or you can get one of the many many many many many cheap subarus here.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/pts/3355628440.html

This ones a steal!.. I bet its just hydrolocked even if it is seized I can get a good motor for about 200... i actually have an engine for it already.. just not the money to buy it. :horse:

I'm kinda subaru spoiled :D

this ones kinda junk but still, you dont see many brats around.

http://fairbanks.craigslist.org/cto/3419853274.html

this ones pretty nice.

http://fairbanks.craigslist.org/cto/3367114621.html

I could go on for hours. I'm going to miss being able to get a subaru a day lol

yah if you watch craigslist or drive around you can find the old subaru's for a couple hundred bucks, between me and my dad we have spent around $2500 buying 5 brats tons of parts like the rear seats, wind shields, body parts, interior, and motor parts which is very good because you can easy pay $2500 for a good brat and whats the fun paying that when you can buy 5 for the price of one and build them the way you want:cool:

yah if you watch craigslist or drive around you can find the old subaru's for a couple hundred bucks, between me and my dad we have spent around $2500 buying 5 brats tons of parts like the rear seats, wind shields, body parts, interior, and motor parts which is very good because you can easy pay $2500 for a good brat and whats the fun paying that when you can buy 5 for the price of one and build them the way you want:cool:

Allrighty now AK. I do not understand why you are doing ALL this work to the car AND NOT bring IT with you if you are moving down here!! The old Subies are becoming a little sparse anymore:mad: Not to many ma&pa yards anymore, the big pull+pay yards are about turnover +$$$$ not cool cars like[subies] soooo... If I was moving like that i"d get a little trailer and load it with parts and what little clothes-house stuff you have left after the BIG MOVING sale=$$$!! Hey what more do you need 4 a roadtrip-Subie wgn.=sleep qtrs. KOA campground 4 showers,spare parts[just n case] If nothing else you sell parts on the way down from Wash.2 Kan. AND just think about that Beautiful drive down here...It is gorgeous!! I"ve done the drive to Wash-Ore 4 times In a subie wgn-exploring off road:headbang::drunk: Think about it!!

I have thought about it, but there's a couple things holding me back. For one

a plane ticket is much cheaper than driving there. And 2 I don't want to drive this car across the country, if it broke down I'd be screwed.:o minor stuff would be ok but this here is an ea82t, its going to break. and probably at the most inconvenient time.:horse:

I'm probably not going anywhere till spring so I need something to drive all winter. the lift and tires are sure going to help if we have a winter like we did last year, we got 12 feet of snow.

Plus selling this car is probably whats paying for my ticket. If not the ticket it will go towards getting a car when I'm there.

I don't have much I could sell anyways. Aside from my laptop, all I have is a .22, a Wetterlings ax, a couple knives, my tools, a few random things, and my clothes. most of it wouldn't be worth selling. And I'm not selling my ax.:)Its coming with me even if I have to mail it.

Although the drive would be pretty awesome!:headbang: I have always wanted to do a road trip to America..

Edited by AKghandi