Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quiet Riot. My 87 GL-10

AKghandi

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont get it, last year there was a record breaking amount of snow, we got 12' here in town and cordova, one of our smaller towns got 21'!!!

of course once I finally get my car lifted the worlds going to end.:dead:

Yea I know:( We usually get pretty good in the hills but it"s been bad for awhile 3-4yrs.now. It"s not even worth wastin the gas to go up the mtn. Fishing Sucked this yr.:horse: I"ve been riding my dirtbike 20min.so.of Denver inbetween my 650mi.roundtrip commute-Denver to Grand Junction-NO Snow on trips NO Rain either:mad: About ready to put a flattrack and wheels on my sled so I can run it :brow: The world can"t end yet!!I still need to build my new bumpers w/hitches [each end] for my hatchie+ It has a full tank of gas still:banana:

Edited by 88wacaroo

I really hope it dumps like 3 feet of snow, the roads are always empty, except for all the trucks that got stuck.:lol: I have a tow strap permanently tied to my rear tow hook just for pulling people out of ditches and snow banks. And that was before it was lifted.:brow:

Oh no problem! wheeling isn't much fun by yourself!

I'm really surprised your car did as well as it did, these cars never cease to amaze me :clap: also your car looks really good with those tires on there:cool:

We need a camera next time. I'm sure it looked pretty cool from an outside perspective. :headbang:

Oh no problem! wheeling isn't much fun by yourself!

I'm really surprised your car did as well as it did, these cars never cease to amaze me :clap: also your car looks really good with those tires on there:cool:

We need a camera next time. I'm sure it looked pretty cool from an outside perspective. :headbang:[/quote

Yea, Wait till you come across a Stuck HEEP:dead: {Sorry-JEEP} IT"s a insult to have a SUPERROO pull them out!! Needless to say after 3-4hrs. The SUPERROO is the last option :lol::headbang: You ought to see the look on their faces when their unstuck:banghead:::confused: It"s funny Chit!!

LOL

i have pulled a few fullsize trucks out of ditches and snow drifts, they always look at me like im crazy when i tell them what i'm going to shame drag them with.:headbang:

Hell they tell me-There"s no way you can pull me out WITH THAT!!! I say-WHY NOT?:lol: They say-Well we can try it!! 10-20min.later:grin::headbang: they"re out looking:confused::eek: It"s funny chit man:D

so a couple plans in the works, after selling the smaller pugs and tires to my good friend Tundrabrat i'll have a little extra cash, and with the owner of the shop i've been working at being gone for a month i have free reign over the place.:headbang:

a couple things are going to happen. the white alloy pugs will be painted and sanded, its hard to explain so i'll let the pictures do the talking when i get it done. this will probably be the first thing to happen.

a new tierod end and a redneck alignment.

and i got a lead on an upgrade alternator which should give me more power than i could ever possibly need.140 amps, AT IDLE. to much? nah. if my understanding of how the the electrical system works is correct it will only be a problem if i pull too much power through the stock harness. a larger charge wire is a definite.

i might also have access to a "cosmetic" winch to put on. its only around 2000# but it will serve as a retractable tow cable. and it will look cool too. plus its going to mount to the stock bumper and i dont think it would be very good for much more than that.

oh and the car might get a little paint work. i'm either going to paint the whole front black with half the front doors painted black diagonally from the mirrors to the rockers .or get some color match lake blue for the gray fender and black hood.

probably the second option.

Stay tuned!:clap:

Even more good news!!, I cant say too much right now, but I can say money is no issue..:brow:

so I have alot of things planned, I'm going to build my brother a wheeler.

and get a spare subaru for a DD so I can build my GL-10 some more.

I'm thinking an xt or a lego. maybe an imp

not sure what I'm going to do first but I can tell you this is going to be an eventful month.:banana::headbang::clap::burnout:

any recommendations? no I'm not going to ej it yet, but when i do its going to be a ej22t. or a franken motor.

I'm thinking about building subarus and selling them, I bet a 4" lift would nearly double the value of a old GL up here. would be good to keep the cash flowing, $500for the car,$600 for the lift,$300 for tires, ask $2250? and I could start my own Alaskan Subaru off road club...I dont think I could build them fast enough..

hmmm much thinking to do.

I love it when karma cashes in.:D

I'M SOOOO EXCITED!!!

I got the biggest alternator I could possibly fit in my car:banana:

This is a Leece neville 140 amp SEMI TRUCK alternator. its aready been fitted in a subaru once before. I need to get a non A/C ALT bracket then I can put it in.

img0071aj.jpg

img0073ul.jpg

img0074hz.jpg

img0075nd.jpg

BIG thanks to ALASKA STYLE, or Bodey as some of you may know him.

http://www.prestolite.com/pgs_products/specs.php?item_detail_id=802&item=8LHA2070VB&product=ALTERNATOR

I also got a complete set of keys and locks so I can open any door instead of just the drivers door.

Edited by AKghandi

Her's how it looked when I ran it.. It's not really a "bolt in" thing. You'll have to put some time permanently modifying your 2 Alt brackets to run this. Easy stuff. If your Engine isn't dropped it'll rub on a support rib on the hood. Quick fix because it's a rib that easily hammers up with something heavy and you'll have to get new longer belts which I forgot the length. The Pivot side bracket will have to be drilled to fit that 1/2" bolt and that tube to keep the ears from bending will have to be cut out. You'll also have to drill/file out the slot in the J-Bracket to fit that 1/2" bolt. That'll take a D shaped file and a few Mt. Dews... Ther's an extra threaded hole to the right of where the J-Bracket originally bolted to. I put it there and it worked. I did all of it in a parking lot in NAVY uniform, drove to NAPA on the battery and test fitted untill I found belts that got tight. The belt size it very tricky. The Alternator is so HUGE it'll only go half way down the adjustment slot when it hits the head so ther's not much room to tighten a belt.

Good luck... :drunk:

Altenator.jpg

I replaced all 3 locks, the ignition, even the glove box lock. so I can open and start my car with the same key! And as a bonus that key happens to be an original subaru black plastic topped key.

I also ordered a new tie rod end for the passenger side, so when that gets here I can do an alignment. If I'm happy when its done I'll leave it but if not, then I'll take it to a shop.

You know, that's a good point about your brakes. I've noticed the same thing after driving in snow. Mine have gotten back to normal now. Let me know if yours revert as well?

Also "I think I broke something.............but that's okay"

:drunk: That's the spirit! lol

didn't actually break anything:o it just bottomed out pretty hard.:D

and yeah its weird how my brakes just started acting normal.

i think when i went up the hill and used my clutch and brakes together it must have worked a bubble loose. my hill holder is actually working like it should now also.

I got my new tie rod end from rock auto now i can get an alignment

I'm glad you liked it! Its sad I don't have a decent camera. Its sort of the typical "bad youtube video":rolleyes:

I'm not sure what happened to my brakes, but they are better than they have been since I've owned it. They have always locked up all 4 but they sure didn't feel like it. I have replaced the MC, all the brake pads, hooked the hill holder back up, bled them 6 times, flushed the fluid, etc etc. and playing in the snow fixed them... weird. Theres a little squish still, but not nearly as much as there was.

I still need to get all new rubber lines, but that can wait.

Edited by AKghandi

quote;

I'm still need to get all new rubber lines, but that can wait.

un-quote.

Bad soft/rubber lines can give various signs of brake issues.

Inner lining of "hose" breaks down after awhile, can create somewhat of a checkvalve should it crack/seperate.

Will allow fliud/pressure flow in one direction, but hinder it in the opposite direction.

Fluid can go between layers of hose, giving the "false" sense of soft pedal, (aka; air in system).

Can cause a brake to "hang" on one wheel.

In reality, the soft lines in a brake system should be replaced just like one replaces heater/radiator hoses, accesory drive belts, and the likes.

Brake hoses age just like the rest of them....

Yeah, I'm aware of the need to replace them, and that's one of the things on my list of things to fix. and it will be fixed before winter gets too bad.

Drivers front fender.

new front seats

rear diff bushings,

weld rear diff

re-lube all window motors.

new rubber brake lines,

parking brake cable's

new front drivers caliper(parking brake lever is sticky, i have to adjust it manually with a hammer:rolleyes:)

new heater switch/resistor

engine reseal

steering rack reseal/ new lines.

non a/c alternator brackets, for my new alternator.

front struts,

color match the front drv fender and paint hood black again.

then theres the rust.

and thats just what i know of right now.

I have my work cut out for me. lol:cool:

Just finished installing my new tie rod end, and did a quickie alignment.

It's not completely perfect, but the car drives straight and the steering wheel is just about straight. Before the steering wheel was about 10 degrees off now I'd say its only about 2 degrees off, and the car doesn't pull to the left anymore.

Also I found the drivers side rack bellow is torn, but the passenger side is ok.

so after I replace that, I'll get it aligned at a shop. I don't want to go to a shop and have them tell me about a bunch of parts that they need to charge me to fix.

But for now I'm happy.:banana:

Slowly plugging away. After the 20th most of my to do list will be taken care of.

stay tuned.:D

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I got some color match paint on order, also ordered some OEM clutch and brake pedal pads, and a new rad fan switch.

So once the paint gets here she's getting a make over, and around that time I'll get some new rear diff bushings, non A/C alt brackets and a new front caliper.

Its going to spend a couple days in a shop while I paint, do the clutch, and throw in the new front C/V's that I have.

And since I'm going to pull the motor to do the clutch I might do a reseal on it while I'm at it, If money allows.

Getting closer!