Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hill Holder / Master Cylinder question. Help!

Ok

So on the swap I'm doing (EA82T to Gen 1 Brat) I am using the 85 EA82 mastervac and master cylinder to give it a little more clearance at the disty. This master cylinder has three outlet. One is primary, 2 are secondary (one is for the hill holder?)

My question: Which one of the outlets does the hill holder go to? I am assuming it is one of the secondary outlets but which one? or does it matter?

If I am eliminating the HH, do I just plug the HH outlet on the master cylinder? Or is there more to it than that?

thanks

So how do folks get rid of the hill holder? I read "ditching the hill holder" lots of opinions and stories, but the question is never answered.

The gen 1 brat MC has just two outlets, labled F (front?) and R (rear?)

The EA82T MC has three outlets, one labled P (primary?) and two labled S (secondary?) I assume one of these is for the HH?

how do I get around it?

garner

Subiemech85,

Does your 85 wagon MC have the same outlets I've described? One at the P out let and two at the S outlet, with one pointing driverside and one down?

Which one goes to the HH?

I'm going to try pluging the HH and see what happens (not on the road) but first I need to figure out which hole to plug....

thanks

I'm sorry. I misunderstood your situation when I posted before.

I believe that originally the P outlet went to the Hill-Holder, but that's no matter now. I think it should work fine if you plug one of the S outlets leaving just one S and one P to hook up to the two lines on your car. I doubt it even matters which line gets hooked to which outlet.

Thanks guys

I just went to the JY while I was out and did a little research, and found the same, HH plumbed to the down ward facing S outlet,

We'll see how it works out..

If anyone else has some experience with the HH delete process, let me know

garner

I believe that getting rid of the hill holder is as easy as using an automatic's master cylinder, no HH no problems.

That's what I thought too, but the auto and manual use the same MC???? or atleaset they both have three oultlets.

On the auto, it seems two outlets go to the fronts and one geos to the rear via a proportioning valve. The Brat this is going in has a very simple brake system with no proportioning valve.

Thanks for the FSM work subiemech85

garner

I believe that getting rid of the hill holder is as easy as using an automatic's master cylinder, no HH no problems.

This is correct. There should be no secondary hoses on an AT MC. Calebz has swapped his MC over to an auto to get rid of his HH valve...

But keep in mind, CCR engines sells rebuilt HH valves for a very reasonable price, worth keeping the valve IMO...

weird, when I went to the JY to do some research, I found the MCs on autos and manuals the same. Both with three outlets. On the Auto, the two lines go, one each, to the two front brakes. The third, dowward facing port went to the rear and a proportioning valve for the rears(i guess, there was so much undercoating, it was difficult to track the lines)

In my situation, EA82T into gen 1 brat, I just plugged the third, downward facing port and ran two lines from the remaining ports to the distribution block.

After it was all plumbed and bled, everything seems just dandy. Got to get it running for a road test. fingers crossed!

garner