Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does anyone know when the EJ22 first went into production?Were there any model years that had specific problems?Was it ever turboed from the factory.I am thinking of doing an EJ22 project but I know absolutely nothing about them.What I am thinking of doing will take a lot time and planning so I am trying to get as much info as possible about the engine.I saw a template for ataching a dr 5 speed to an EJ22 which is the trans I want to use.Any help would greatly appreciated.Thanks,Dave.

Early 90s would be the date they started going into production. Sorry I can't be more specific. The US spec EJ22 was never turbo'd, but a limited edition (22B) was sold in japan with a turbo EJ22, but it wasn't the same engine we got here. No problems I can think of, just remember to check the timing belts!

The EJ22 was introduced with the US model Legacy in 1990, the turbo version started in 1991 and ran until 1994, the JDM (Japanese Domestic Model) 22B was different from the EJ22 that the US models had. I was basically the same block, but had DOHC heads with hydraulic lash adjusters, with the US modle has a SOHC. I have never heard of any uear that teh EJ22 had any problems, it is probably the best engine that Subaru has ever built. There were problems with the early auto trannys, but not the engine. The early EJ25s were a different story, the DOHC EJ25s had piston slap problems that were never solved until the SOHC version was released in late 1999.

This post should be moved New Generation area.