Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can the new style MAF be cleaned?

I recently replaced my MAF (with a junkyard MAF) and solved the poor running issues on my 87 RX. Its the newer style MAF with the small wires sticking up in the tube (ie, not the vane style). I was wondering if this new style MAF can go bad if it gets dirty? Will electrical cleaner possibly help? I suspect my new MAF is already going bad as RX is again running poorly.......I cant floor it and get any power but it seems to run fine if I drive it like Grandma would.

yeah I mentioned that when you first asked about the hesitation stumble problem. you can clean em. its rare to have the wire get dirty like the ford maf because these have a burn off cycle.

it wont hurt to try it. just shoot it with some cleaner and retry it.

for some strange reason, my 89 RX would do that as well. Cleaning the MAF did nothing. Advancing the timing almost all the way out and running 93 in it did the trick. I dont know why exactly....but it just did.

I bought a used MAF off eBay for my XT, and it had a spider in it, with a web! I sprayed it out with brake cleaner, and used it, hoping to solve a stumbling/hesitating problem I was having, but it didn't make any difference. One MAF is as good as the other...

for some strange reason, my 89 RX would do that as well. Cleaning the MAF did nothing. Advancing the timing almost all the way out and running 93 in it did the trick. I dont know why exactly....but it just did.

It was advancing your timing, and runing 93, the 93 let you advance the timing, and advancing the timing increased your power.

With the stumbling problem, check your TPS, run it in and out with an ohm meter and check for smooth operation, if it sticks it will lean out and then suddenly flood, causing a stumble

I replaced the MAF again but it had no effect. I did find a spark plug wire that was defective. That cleared up most of the problem. I tried adjusting the timing but I just cant see any numbers on the timing marks.......so I adjusted it to ear and it seems better. Are there actually numbers on the flywheel indicating the timing marks? Or do I just have to adjust the timing at night? :-)

you use a timing gun which is a strobe light that flashes from the trigger of your spark plug wire. Then you do the timing in the dark and it will flash and illuminate the timing marks on the flywheel showing you were you are at.

In order to do this you have to put the ecu in test or limp mode or something for the rx so that it doesnt try to automatically adjust timing as you are changing it :) someones gonna have to chime in here cause I dont really know what I'm talking about at this point. :-\

Subaru didnt seem to maintain any consistency on the various years and models of vehicles. On the 1987 RX there are green connectors under the dash next to the ECU. These green connectors are used for adjusting the timing and also used to clear the codes in the ECU. I read somewhere that on some vehicles the ECU is actually under one of the seats. Go figure.