Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gear Oil for 4WD Dual Range?

Just occured to me I'll be needing to fill up this 4WD Dual Range I'm installing. Wondering what weight I should be using. What reminded me of this was the fact my 2WD 5speed I pulled out recently leaked ALL of it's gear oil on my garage floor... where'd I put that kitty litter? :)

Thx

Phew. :lol:

I am so used to the Northern "factory spec" that I don't even know about using different anywhere else. Ill have to be more careful of that. Good thing MorganM lives even further north than I do. :)

haha yeah its funny when you are reading the owners manual and it describes "Extreeme Condtions" and you are like 'um thats a typical winter commute...' :D

I've had really good luck with Quaker State 75w-90 synthetic gear oil, which I changed to in both the tranny and rear diff last summer. After at least 10,000 miles it's still as clear as the day is went in, the synchros seems to be in better shape, and it shifts much easier when it's cold outside. I don't know if this is a common problem with synthetic gear oil like it is with engine oil, but it hasn't leaked a drop yet either.

Only disadvantage is the price, but since the drain interval is about three times as long as with dino oil, it's really about the same anyway.