Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear main / seperator plate replacement

I have found a '96 Outback with a 2.2L and 5-speed for a excellent price, but there is a oil leak in the rear of the engine. From what I've been reading, the 2.2L has a (oil?) seperator plate that can leak, and I'm assuming that the rear main seal will have to be done at the same time.

Are these two repairs possible with the engine in the car? Some repair manuals I've found state that the engine has to come out.

Thank you. I'm assuming that the clutch needs replacement too since it is bathed in oil now.

I've seen the reports of clutch changes done by sliding the engine forward (with the radiator removed) but I wasn't sure if you could get to the plate or rear main seal with that procedure.

If I was to remove the transmission, does that require special (Subaru-specific) tools to remove the front half-shafts?

you can access the rear main and oil seperator plate by leaving the car in the engine and sliding it forward. it is a bit tight, and i've never done it, but it certainly is possible.

i don't think any special tools are required to remove the half shafts. someone else should be able to back that up.

Pulling the axles out of the hubs might not be necessary, just get them out of the transmission. It would be nice to get more room around the tranny, though.

I believe all it takes is a 3/16" pin punch to knock out the roll pin on the inboard end of the axle, just like on the older Subarus?

One more question that I'll ask in here as to avoid cluttering up the board, but the emissions calibration sticker on the underside of the hood states that it meets both California and US emissions standards. The car so far as I can tell came from Utah.

Did all Subarus meet CA Tier 1 regulations that year, or is this a CA-only model?

The reason I ask is I know on older cars it can be a pain to located CA-only emission parts.