Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does Craftsman make a wrist pin pulling tool?

A friend and I just made a tool to pull the wrist pins by "modifying" a long bolt. By the time we were done, it was basically a shaft with a little protrusion that you could wedge in there and pry on a nut on the other end to get the pin out. It worked pretty well. Not the slickest tool, but it didn't cost anything. I could get a picture if you like.

A friend and I just made a tool to pull the wrist pins by "modifying" a long bolt. By the time we were done, it was basically a shaft with a little protrusion that you could wedge in there and pry on a nut on the other end to get the pin out. It worked pretty well. Not the slickest tool, but it didn't cost anything. I could get a picture if you like.

yes i would like!

Here is a picture of the tool that I made: You can borrow it if you want mr. the sucker king.

Dsc01875.jpg

Insert it all the way through the wrist pin, let the hooked end catch the far edge of the wrist pin, and tap it out with a hammer. Very easy to make and pretty effective too.

I would have put a heavy piece of round hollow stock on the shaft before doing the last bend. You'd use the hollow stock (which should slide on the shaft) as a slide hammer. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the knuckles -- you would never miss!

Subaru tool numbers (you can buy them from your dealer):

EA82 engine: 399094310

ER27 engine: 499097300

You can use the one for the ER27 (XT6) on an EA82 engine. It's longer because you need to be able to get at the middle pair of cylinders.

I made a bent up one using a piece of rod like that years ago. worked ok...

When I was at school last week and I needed to pull one of the wrist pins out that I had already put in (put a ring in upsidedown accidentally) I didnt have that tool on me, so I found this metric alan bolt, where the head slid perfectly down the center of the wrist pin (were talking machine fit) till it hit the notch in the center of the pin. Anyway I took a bench grinder to the head of the bolt and left about 1/4 circle on it, and it worked PERFECTLY.. I was able to attach a slide hammer to it, and get those wrist pins out in a breeze. I also had to taper the top of the head a little bit to get around the retainer clip.

My 2 cents