Ultimate Subaru Message Board

will weber air filter fit under the hood of unlifted ea81 hatch?

the sucker king

No - it won't. Been there, done that. And your right - the low-pro doesn't breathe as well, but there are bigger low-pro's availible around on the internet. The 1.75" one will run alright - the difference isn't that noticeable really. Really irk's me that the stupid redline kit comes with the tall filter - makes you spend another $10 on a filter, that your supposed to get with the Kit. I personally reccomend against the Kit. There was a post a while back from a place in Canada that will do a "custom" kit for $325 shipped. Including the linkage kit (doesn't come with the redline kits), the air filter of your choice, and a brand new carb. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

GD

No - it won't. Been there, done that. And your right - the low-pro doesn't breathe as well, but there are bigger low-pro's availible around on the internet. The 1.75" one will run alright - the difference isn't that noticeable really. Really irk's me that the stupid redline kit comes with the tall filter - makes you spend another $10 on a filter, that your supposed to get with the Kit. I personally reccomend against the Kit. There was a post a while back from a place in Canada that will do a "custom" kit for $325 shipped. Including the linkage kit (doesn't come with the redline kits), the air filter of your choice, and a brand new carb. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

GD

i rebuilt the weber ($10 at the junkyard) myself. got the air filter for $12 from my mechanic friend. got the filter frame for dimes at a junkyard. the one thing that pisses me off is that the most expensive piece for me is the adaptor ($50 from redline) and it is poorly drilled and i suspect came w/ the wrong hardware. arggh. i'm thinking that i will send this back with a note to take pride in what they do. $50 is overpriced for this piece unless it is quality.

Maybe you had a different adaptor, or bad motor mounts or something. Also - the DFV carb, and possibly that "28/36" may be a different height. I'm talking about a DGEV 32/36...... talk to Caboobaroo - he can elucidate the differences that we noticed comparing the Holley 5220 to my DGV sitting here. BIG differences.

MY experience is with THE OFFICIAL kit from Redline on my 84 wagon (VERY good motor mounts), and when I closed the hood, it bent the filter frame. You could tell where it hit, and driving like that would be BAD. I'm guessing you would need another 1/2" or so to be safe from it hitting on vibration.

You say you got it from a JY - what is it? If it's a Holley 5200 (DFV), you'll be dissapointed with it compared to a true DGV..... The venturi's are tiny in comparison. In fact, it only widens out to the same "32/36" as the DGV at the bottom of the carb. Pretty silly really.

GD

The adaptor works just fine - file on it a bit if you like, but from what I've seen it doesn't matter. Works great for me. But yes, I agree in principle that the design could use refinement. Just keep telling yourself that you won't be able to see it once it's installed. It DOES do the job.

BTW - they are ALL DGAV's. Never seen one stamped DGEV. Mine is stamped DGAV, and it's electric. Probably wasn't "substituted" - it's stock.

GD

Well it fits in my '85 Brat. Everything that came in the Redline/Weber kit is installed, including the tall filter. I do have good motor mounts and brand new trans mounts. I have zero issues with any of the parts including the adapter. Most issues that have come up have been around the EA82 installation. The adapter fits and covers the intake just fine. I did grind the intake to match the adapter and allow for smoother air/fuel flow. There is a small amount of contact between filter and hood but, it doesn't bother either the hood or filter.

http://usmb.net/gallery/album222