Ultimate Subaru Message Board

smoke and oil

was going down the road just fine, then it started to bog down it got worse as i pulled over i noticed the heat gauge going up but it never relly got that hot . afteri t cooled i noticed the top radiator hose had blown. replaced that & fianlly got it started. very little compression & smoke & oil coming from breather. ive noticed oil in the breather for about a week but the car was still running ok. anyway after i shut it down,smoke was coming from all parts of the engine, yet the gauge did not registerr hot. 1986 gl wagon

hey eqvance

When you loose a lot of water in a hurry (like a blown top hose), the coolant temp sensor can go dry before it registers the high temp. I suspect that it may have gotten quite hot and you may have cooked the piston rings, if you get them to hot they loose there strength and stop sealing, then you get major blow by (oil in the breather). A compression check will tell the story, if any of the cylinders show low then run them again with a squirt or two of oil in them, if they come up considerably you’ve got bad rings, if not its valves or a head gasket. Speaking of head gaskets, if it got that hot I bet they’re shot (maybe even a cracked head, sorry)… any water in the oil, bubbles in the radiator/pushing out coolant? The stock gauge isn’t all that accurate, maybe its reading low, temporarily mount up a mechanical gauge or check it with a good thermometer.

Gary

Oil in the breather normally comes from blow by or a problem with the PCV system, check compression and PCV valve and hoses.

Power loss is normal if the engine is overheating, did you notices and pigging/detonation?

Gary