Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How can you "check" the bottom end?

Can't access them without splitting the block, I think.

If they aren't making noise, they are good for a good number more miles, though.

If you are chasing low oil pressure that's likely something else- loose bolts on the oil pump, pickup that is cracked, or worn out main bearings.

Can't access them without splitting the block, I think.

If they aren't making noise, they are good for a good number more miles, though.

If you are chasing low oil pressure that's likely something else- loose bolts on the oil pump, pickup that is cracked, or worn out main bearings.

Thanks. IMO, "noise" is relative on these engines. My '08 with 65k is not quiet, but it has no tick, slap, or tap.

Me, I am now skeptical about this so-called "piston slap" noise. Funny how it got worse just before it turned into full-blown rod-knock. This one in the 99 is pending. After a normal commute, it taps every time around. One piston or one rod? My guess is a rod.

Oil pressure is fine, AFAIK, although it is burning oil 1qt per tank, which I hate.

BTW The solution of "knurling" pistons seems 'way iffy to me, with a built-in life expectancy.

Is there a way to check/change rod bearings without splitting the cases?

One advantage to changing your own oil and filter. Take a close look at the oil that is drained. If the rod bearings are going, you'll see the flakes in the drain pan.

Doug

Thanks. IMO, "noise" is relative on these engines. My '08 with 65k is not quiet, but it has no tick, slap, or tap.

Me, I am now skeptical about this so-called "piston slap" noise. Funny how it got worse just before it turned into full-blown rod-knock. This one in the 99 is pending. After a normal commute, it taps every time around. One piston or one rod? My guess is a rod.

Oil pressure is fine, AFAIK, although it is burning oil 1qt per tank, which I hate.

BTW The solution of "knurling" pistons seems 'way iffy to me, with a built-in life expectancy.

Well, when the rod bearings get loose enough the connecting rod big-end hits the block and knocks out a chunk, so at least then you know what it was!

After a normal commute, it taps every time around. One piston or one rod? My guess is a rod.

Doesn't seem like piston slap.

Piston slap ussually is bad when cold, then goes away when the piston warms up and expands.

Are you sure it's not valve noise? That is a solid rocker setup. Needs adjusted every 50k or so.