Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 H6, info on changing crank pulley

Some goo is seeping out of a crack on the rubber insert on my crank pulley, and it's starting to rub the case.

Biggest piece of info I'm looking for- is there a magic spot on the flywheel where the crank can be held?

2nd- I assume the oil seal rides right on the pulley like on every other chain-driven cam engine?

I assume the pulley is different from the H4s.

Yes entirely different. The H6 pulley seal is between the inner pulley section and the timing chain cover. There is also a cover on the front of the pulley that has an O ring behind it. Apparently oil leaks past the threads of the bolt and the cover is there to hold it in the pulley.

As I understand it, the front crankshaft oil seal rides directly on the pulley. Similar to most american V engine designs.

This leaves the rear section of the pulley open which can apparently allow oil through the center. The cover is held to the front of the pulley with 4 bolts.

366495001304.png

Front crank seal:

366495002202.png

Edited by Fairtax4me

Not unless the performance crowd got ahold of a 6 banger.

That must be belt-and-suspenders if you use a little sealant on the crank.

My thinking as well. The bolt on bits are just extra weight. A little RTV behind the crank bolt washer would solve the whole problem.

Back to the original question, since we kinda skipped over it...

Holding the crank still I would guess can be done in a similar way to the 4 cyl engines. Look for a hole in the side of the bellhousing to stick a large screwdriver. Otherwise, a prybar in the inspection cover should do it. Or the handy-mans secret weapon, Duct tape. :D

Well, if it's strong enough and I didn't mess up the bolt circle, I should be good to go.

I used 3 pieces of 16ga sheet steel, brazed together at the edges and around the clearance hole for the crank pulley bolt socket, 4 3/8ths grade-8 bolts brazed in place on the top only. If they twist I'll have to braze them at the bottom as well, didn't do so because I don't want to weaken them.

I got the pulley from the dealer, but I hope I don't need the oil seal or the bolt-cap, they didn't order them.

Looks like I'll be putting some silicone sealer on the crank before putting on the pulley so oil doesn't creep out (like on every other timing-chain engine).

My pulley holder fits OK, though.