Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Loyale Shocks/Struts - 2WD vs 4WD

Alright, I'm having a hard time finding new shocks (I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for new ones, so I'm looking on RockAuto) and I can't find a complete set of Shocks and Struts for a decent price, and they don't have a lot to choose from in 2WD. So I was curious if a 4WD set, will work just find on a 2WD? I didn't know if everything is same size, and it would, but maybe the ride would just be a little more firm or what. Any insight would be great!

... if a 4WD set, will work just find on a 2WD? ...

Yes, they'll fit but the 4WD Shock Absorbers does have the Base for the Coil Spring, Welded Two inches Above from the position of it on the 2WD.

So 4WD Shocks will Lift two inches your Subie.

It is Something you must be Aware of, because if you change only the Rears, the front will be sitting 2" lower, and viceversa.

More info: ~► Here.

Kind Regards.

I would want to buy a pair of 4WD shocks/struts for back and front... all the way around. Mainly because I'm having a hard time finding cheaper ones specific to 2WD models.

I read your article earlier, and was slightly confused. It's a great post, and pretty insightful. I was just confused by it a little.

If I put 4WD shocks/struts on all the way around, will it raise the whole thing up 2" in back and front?

Yes, they'll fit but the 4WD Shock Absorbers does have the Base for the Coil Spring, Welded Two inches Above from the position of it on the 2WD.

You got it backwards.

4wd shocks will lower a 2wd car.

The 4wd cars, the mount is higher up on the swingarm, so the axle can go underneath. 4wd rear shocks are shorter than the 2wd ones.

You need to get 2wd length shocks or your rear end will be sagging.

If I put 4WD shocks/struts on all the way around, will it raise the whole thing up 2" in back and front?

No..... you'll end up lifting the front, but lowering the back.

4wd fronts are longer than the 2wd fronts (factory, some aftermarket they are the same now)

But in the back, again because of the different mounting locations on the swingarm, the 4wd shocks are actually shorter. Installing them on a 2wd car will drop the rear end big time.

Well... I don't know how to tell you that is a Wrong impression, about the Rear shock absorbers... Very Respectfully let me tell you that I've had side by side, the Rear 2WD Shock Absorber from a 2WD EA82 Wagon next to the Rear 4WD shock absorber from a 4WD EA82 Wagon, and both are identical, except for the base that each one has, for mounting the Coil Spring: the 2WD has it welded two inches Lower than the 4WD, (it is the same to say that the 4WD has it two inches upper from the 2WD ones) but Both Shock Absorbers has equal lenght & Design...

Kind Regards.