Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tire Replacement on 91 Loyale

This might be a "noobi" question, but here it is.

I need new front tires on my 4WD wagon. Tread is almost non-existant. Rears look decent for now. I last replaced all 4 tires 5 years ago. Not sure why the fronts wore worse than the rears. Can I replace only the front 2 for now? Money's a little tight right now so trying to save a buck. I've heard on Subarus, that you should always replace all 4 at the same time. Is this rule of thumb just for AWD? Can't afford to screw-up the drivetrain since this is my only daily driver. As we all know, winter's around the corner, so I need new rubber soon. Any insight would be great.

for you I would make sure to replace tires in pairs or all 4, and keep matching pairs on each axle (2 matching tires on the front, and 2 matching on the rear). It wont matter at all unless you engage 4wd, which you shouldnt do unless your on mud/grass/gravel/snow anyway. you shouldnt engage 4wd on surfaces that arent soft or flexible or things could bind up.