Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear lateral link upgrade for Gen1 lifted OB?

torxxx

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-2000-2001-2007-Subaru-Rear-Lateral-Links-Impreza-WRX-Sti-RS-GC8-/181007780332?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASubaru&hash=item2a24e789ec&vxp=mtr

I'm not one bit familiar with the impreza chassis when it comes down to the specifics but I think these will work on my Gen 1 lifted OB wont they?

I noticed that I've managed to bend all 4 of my lateral links with just minor wheeling since my lift, and I'm wanting to have more adjustment as far as toe and camber on my rear wheels so I'm thinking these are the way to go. the adjustments on the lateral bars look like they would allow me to get the camber right on the rear wheels w/o using a chamber bolt (I dont trust the aftermarket ones, I can see one snapping at the wrong time)

What ya'll think?

yes, they will fit.

lateral links will not allow camber adjustment, though. They're just too far away from the pivot point (upper strut mount) to change the camber angle much without causing issues with the axles.

We have adjustable links ( http://www.tssfab.us ) on our #171 rally car. We accidently had one side adjusted way out. Easily had it aligned, but when we started driving it, kept having one axle popping out of the diff. We cranked them back in so they would stop ruining axles.....and the camber change was negligible. Camber bolts is the only way to do it.

Also, pillowball/heim joints are very noisy. They'll rattle and clank over every little bump. Not recommended for anything but a purpose-built rig.

yah, I'm thinking heim joints might be too loud, I like to hear my car not make noise, so when it does I can tell when somethings wore out. I guess I could order up some new ones from the dealer and then weld angle iron around them to reinforce them.

I've got a set of stock ones I could put on the car, but the way I see it why install them if I'm just going to bend them again ?

Could always go with links with johnny joints.They don't have quite the flex as heims but they also don't rattle and clank.Expensive though.

And you would have to recapitulate the entire mounting system on both sides.;)Ask me how i know...

Hey Torxx, I will be taking off my lateral links.Alittle worn, the boots are torn, but they do not make any noise.And for a fine upstanding guy like yourself, I would make a hell of a deal.:popcorn:PM me if interested mate.

cheers