Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA 82 Water Pumps

If you have an engine that you care about, don't use the metal impeller water pumps on these engines. They're simply not as good as a cast iron unit. AC and Turbo cars came with them new. Here's the OEM Atsugi, pic from a current ebay seller. 110mm pump $48.00, 104mm pump $54.00 shipped. These are just for reference. Companies now are selling the metal ones for almost that much.

SubaruEA82AtsugiOEMWaterPump.jpg?t=1351971189

Paraut and ATP both have cast iron too. All of those pumps have better seals and bearings. You don't just throw them away every timing belt change.

Cardone has been available for remanufactured cast iron pumps. Two Paraut pumps I just looked at had that pin in the side. Never opened one up, but it looks like they are made to be rebuilt.

Doug

Edited by Quidam

I changed the original post a little. All three pumps listed there are made in Japan. All are very good looking pumps, quality castings.

I've got a short and long GMB set of pump I'll never use. They're new but metal impeller.

If you're looking at listings for these pumps the picture won't show the impeller if they're metal impeller. That's been my experience, if it's cast the picture will reflect that. Want to edit that. Rock Auto AC Delco pump listing for an '86 RX says they're cast impeller but doesn't show it in the pic. A lot of the other listings, no way to tell what they are.

Doug

Edited by Quidam