Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Exhaust questions (Legacy I and II)

I have a 1991 EJ22 Legacy I an my axle back exhaust died because of rust. So I have to replace it and searched for the part on ebay and got a shock because of the price (about 150 Euro). I made some researches and found that the back exhaust for the EJ18/Ej22 cars just cost about 100 Euro. The only diffence is the end pipe: EJ22 ist dual-pipe, EJ18/20 is single-pipe. Everything else seems to be identical (at least the whole exhausting system except the back exhaust is the same), so my first questione: Do I really need that dual-pipe for EJ22 or is everything fine with single-pipe? I doubt the need sine all other parts are identical, but who knows...

And then I discovered that the back exhaust for Legacy II only cost about 50 Euro. I made some searches and found no real info if that back exhaust could also fit my EJ22. The pictures look identical, but the part numbers are different and it's always distinguished between Legacy I and II. So my second question: Did anyone tried to fit an Legacy II exhaust to a Legacy I (or vice versa)? Will it fit - perhaps with some work on it?

Oddly enough, Legacy II EJ22 also has single-pipe and there's no difference between EJ20 an EJ22 on Legacy II...

Thanks!

You don't need a dual pipe, a single will be fine. If your pipe is good, you could always have the muffler welded on.

Some mufflers are longer than others and may not fit in the hole.

Check FedEx international, I might be able to ship you a stock US one from Colorado for less.

I think the bends in the muffler pipe are different and the rubber mount points are different. You may be able to make it work but is it worth it?

Gen II legacy is 1" longer in the middle section.

Still fits fine.

I have used a full 96 exhaust on as 91 wagon. It fit fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the answers! I ordered an axle back exhaust for a Legacy II and it fits almost perfect. There's just a little space between the two flanges (middle part and end part, most likely that inch difference), but that was no problem with tightening the screws. And the end pipe is a bit short, but that will be solved by installing a cheap decorative pipe there ;) Still saving more than half the money! Thank you very much!