Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 Legacy Wagon Aftermarket Stereo Installation

Hello all,

My wife surprised me with a aftermarket stereo for the old soob (Single DIM height) I want to install it myself and have experience doing this.

I did a search on the forums and I was unable to find the answer to my question.

What I don't know is if I will need an aftermarket dash kit for the stereo. I have the factory tape player with the pocket below it.

I will get the wiring harness and since I'm ordering that online, I wanted to get the dash kit at the same time if I need it.

Thanks very much!

JB

Edited by JazzBass

No dash kit needed. The side brackets simply unscrew from the old radio and dash pocket and screw onto the new head unit.

Save yourself shipping cost and time you can get the harness at walmart for under $10.

If you've never had one of these apart, two hidden screws in the top of the ash tray slide will ruin your day. A stubby philips screwdriver will be needed to get to these. The center console trim pops out easily after you remove the two screws under the console lid.

Fairtax4me and porcupine73,

Thanks very much for the info! I'll need to order the wiring harness from Walmart and the local ones here do not have the one for Subarus. It's still only $10 and shipping is free to the store.

Again, I appreciate the info and the responses!

JB

One thing that I did when I put my new stereo in was to swap the little storage compartment and the stereo. This way you can see the stereo even when the cup holders are in use. Also, be careful the the cigarette lighter plugs when you pull the face plate off.

Adam