Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 gl wont start

Hi, Got a 1987 gl wagon, stock carb, shuts off randomly and wont start back up, it cranks forever but nothing, it will start bareley with starting fluid then dies, got under the car and rapped on the fuel pump, started up, now wont start again, dunno if it was just coincidence or not. lol recently did plugs disty cap n rotor, and fuel filter, thanks for any replies.

Sounds like a fuel pump if you tapped on it and it started, easy fix. But first check for spark, when it won't start. Pull a plug, connect wire, and hold it against the block with a good insulated plyers, have someone crank, you should see blue spark. If you get spark, pull off the feeding fuel line and put it in bucket...have someone turn the key to "on" should have a nice strong flow. When it cranks, but doesn't start its either spark or fuel. If you get both, then I would rebuild and flush out the carb, its prob gunned up. Good luck.

Wes

... a 1987 gl wagon, stock carb, shuts off randomly and wont start back up, it cranks forever but nothing...

"Stock Carb" are key words here... the Hitachi carburetor on those EA82 engines, has many vacuum hoses, some of those goes to the carbon canister, some others are tiny 1/8" and 3/16" for vacuum purposes...

The Hitachi carb has two thicker hoses in the Top, one in front and one in rear of the center bowl's (opening) top, if those are Misplaced or open to the Air, the car will start and run normally when first started cool at morning, or after a while... but after certain time / engine temp, the engine will have the exact behaviour that you described: "shuts off randomly and wont start back up".

So I kindly suggest you to check for Unplugged / Cracked \ Misplaced Hoses.

If you're not sure about those, you can do a small test: Cap close all the Bigger Hoses' ports at the Carburetor (Except Fuel-in Line and Fuel-Return Line of course) and try to drive the car like that for a while to see if the problem dissapears.

Good Luck!

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

That sounds like the same problem I am having with my 87 GL wagon the motor was swapped for another EA82 and the guy broke up with his GF and he lost interest. I got it running but soon as it warms up or you put it in gear she stumbles and after a couple of re starts then it stops and wont restart until its cold again. I thought maybe a head gasket but no coolant is lost. But one thing I noticed is if I can get lucky enough for it to stay running oil smoke starts to burn from the tail pipe. I am gonna mess with the vacuum lines some more and see if I can get that running problem sorted out first.

• 1 month later...

old thread ?

old indeed

Yes, it is an old thread...

But that doesn't mean that we should not help someone in need of information.

... I am gonna mess with the vacuum lines some more and see if I can get that running problem sorted out first.

I would start by capping close all the vacuum ports on the Hitachi carburetor, except the one that feeds the secondary -high- stage's actuator on the Carb and the one for the vacuum advance at the Distributor; or even better, convert the Hitachi carburetor to Mechanical actuator instead of vacuum. You might find useful information, here:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/147163-mechanical-conversion-on-hitachi-carburetors/

Kind Regards.