Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, my 1995 Legacy Wagon is finally dead. I posted in another thread a while back about it shooting out a spark plug. Long story short, the first mechanic did a hack job, I bought a Timesert kit to try and fix it myself, and that didn't work. Either there wasn't enough material left, or I did it wrong. The spark plug kept turning, then snapped the insert. Then my neighbor and I figured out that it may not be getting fuel. It has 384,000 miles, would need another timing belt, tires, a new head, probably a fuel pump, etc., and I'm not capable of much more than an oil change. Sometime soon I'll put an ad out.

Anyway, I've been debating between getting a new Impreza versus one that's just a few years old. I built a spreadsheet and it looks like the cost is pretty much a wash over the long term. The MPG improvement of the new one is significant enough that it will make up the price premium over the lifetime of the car since I drive about 20,000 miles a year. I'm pretty easy on cars - I have a basement garage that keeps it warm overnight, and my commute is almost entirely on the interstate. I'm definitely going to get a manual transmission. My question is, which drivetrain would you guys expect to be more reliable? I know from this group that getting a 95 Legacy with a 2.2 is more reliable than a 98 with a 2.5, so bigger certainly isn't better. I don't care much about power.

Hi,

If you can find a new one (limited supply per cars101.com), and you plan on keeping the car for 5+ years then do it.

Buying the manual isn't the best option for MPG, as the CVT is better:

2013 MPG(cars101.com):

4 door sedan manual transmission- city/highway 25/34 , combined 28mpg

5 door manual transmission- city/highway 25/33, combined 28mpg

4 and 5 door CVT 27/36, combined 30mpg

The older models w/ the 2.5 did have more HP/Torque, but you stated that didn't matter much.

Edit: If the body isn't rusted, the trans is still good and you can find a local mechanic to install it, just buy another EJ22/2.2 for the Legacy.....shouldn't cost more than $1500 installed. Read up on here about the differences in '95-98 EJ22....you could even get by w/a '90-94, if you don't need EGR.

But if you're ready for a new car, the Impreza's a good choice.

GL,

Td

Edited by wtdash

I'd lean towards the 2013 model due to the timing chain (no replacement interval). The H6 timing chain engines from 2001+ have been amazing in reliability. Still young but i'd hope for the same with the new engine in the 2013's.

The 07-09 Impreza's aren't bad motors but the EJ25 has been one of Subaru's lesser offerings. Headgasket and lower end bearing failures are far more common than in any other Subaru engines ever made. They can easily make 200,000+ miles though, don't get me wrong they can be decent motors, they just have slightly higher maintenance costs and higher percentage risk (which is still low-ish). Most folks don't really make practical decisions on that low of a risk though...%2 risk instead of %1 risk...I do, but most don't. Most rather pick price points, color, interiors, performance, etc. Everyone has a different fit.

I chose the H6 engines in both of my daily drivers (and cars for two friends just this year) just to avoid the EJ25. Not a bad motor but I prefer the higher statistics of the H6.

If the impreza can be equally as reliable and low maintenance that would be a great engine as it can also pull off better gas mileage.

So, my 1995 Legacy Wagon is finally dead. I posted in another thread a while back about it shooting out a spark plug. Long story short, the first mechanic did a hack job, I bought a Timesert kit to try and fix it myself, and that didn't work. Either there wasn't enough material left, or I did it wrong. The spark plug kept turning, then snapped the insert. Then my neighbor and I figured out that it may not be getting fuel. It has 384,000 miles, would need another timing belt, tires, a new head, probably a fuel pump, etc., and I'm not capable of much more than an oil change. Sometime soon I'll put an ad out.

Anyway, I've been debating between getting a new Impreza versus one that's just a few years old. I built a spreadsheet and it looks like the cost is pretty much a wash over the long term. The MPG improvement of the new one is significant enough that it will make up the price premium over the lifetime of the car since I drive about 20,000 miles a year. I'm pretty easy on cars - I have a basement garage that keeps it warm overnight, and my commute is almost entirely on the interstate. I'm definitely going to get a manual transmission. My question is, which drivetrain would you guys expect to be more reliable? I know from this group that getting a 95 Legacy with a 2.2 is more reliable than a 98 with a 2.5, so bigger certainly isn't better. I don't care much about power.

At this point, if it were me, I would have used JB Weld, and a new spark plug. Yea, it would have pretty much welded the new plug into the head, never to come out again. But what the heck, a new plug would last maybe 50K miles plus. It is just a thought......................!

FWIIW, we really enjoy my gf's 2012 Impreza Hatchback. It is a huge improvement over the 2009 Impreza that she traded in. EVERYTHING is better on the 2012, including the gas mileage. I advised her to get the 5 speed MT, which she wanted anyway. I don't want to be the guinea pig for the CVT. I remember the last time Subaru came out with a CVT (Justy) and it got extremely ugly.

One big plus for the new 2.0L engine is that the water pump is OUTSIDE the engine and belt driven. When the water pump driven by a timing chain and fails it can get very expensive. Don't ask me how I know this.

Edited by The Dude