Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Welcome me to the Gen2 H6 head gasket club

Say what now? I am about to pull the trigger on a 2002 H6 ,,,

The H6 has a head-gasket problem at a rate equal or less than any car that has no unusual rate of failure, I think. No matter how good the gasket or the surfaces or the clamping, some small number will have a problem.

I would check the oil (and under the oil cap) for signs of moisture, and look under the heads for a greenish tint on the visible edges of the gasket.

If no signs, I'd call it good.

this amy or may not help...but my '97 outback 2.5 had head gasket issues...due to a bad back I was hesitant to do the gaskets...research led me to "steel seal"...ran a bottle in the engine following instructions and a year later is no leaks...just my .02...now I'm into fuel pumps and 02 sensors...does is ever end???

clasic gasket vibration taking the coating off the gasket is gone on the bottom at the back of the head was it leaking coolant into the oil pasage ? was the gasket leaking into the headbolt and then out the side ? When i install new gaskets i glue them with avinoic form a gasket to insulate the gasket from vibrations. How was the timing covers to remove fun eh

• 2 weeks later...

Have you torn the engine down to find out what kind of burn it is? Is it melted on the edge or does it look like someone took a cutting torch to it?

Had one that basically had a hole cut out of it, showed it to an instructor at school who suggested bad gas lead to repeated detonation and caused the valve face to crack. Called it "thermal shock". Exhaust melted it from the center out so it looked like someone took a torch to it.

Found the pics I took: IMG_0210.jpg

I should add that this valve came out of an Ej22. Not a 6 banger. But it did have hydraulic lash adjusters. I don't suppose "thermal shock" cares what engine it happens in though. Also remembered the other term she used was Valve face guttering to describe the way it burned.

Edited by Fairtax4me

same as addjusting 2.5 d take the head off is best way i built a tool to push the bucket down so i can slip the pucks out for 2.5 d . but the six I have no buckets for or shims so head whould have to be taken off. the dealer took thiss car back as the customer had just bought it from the dealer a month ago. sad part is they knew it had burnt valve when they sold it they were going to change the engine. After i located one for her kinda got burned on it but dident look like a nice motor job to do anyway.