Ultimate Subaru Message Board

was able to rebiuld a expanded awd five speed center diff was able to press it apart and reinstall the clutchs and plates and wire seperators. I thought it was a non rebiuldabble part but it seems to be fixabble. The trans had lost the awd output berring that ruind the front awd berring and that alowded the gear to grab the snap ring and tear it out then awd expanded and came apart. was a mess inside but was repairablle and go's back in today see how it works. The cool thing is that you could modify the awd to make it stiffer or more or less responsive by adding or removeing plates or viscus fliud

was able to rebiuld a expanded awd five speed center diff was able to press it apart and reinstall the clutchs and plates and wire seperators. I thought it was a non rebiuldabble part but it seems to be fixabble. The trans had lost the awd output berring that ruind the front awd berring and that alowded the gear to grab the snap ring and tear it out then awd expanded and came apart. was a mess inside but was repairablle and go's back in today see how it works. The cool thing is that you could modify the awd to make it stiffer or more or less responsive by adding or removeing plates or viscus fliud

did you put in new fluid? where did you get it?

I THINK I once read an article or maybe watched a video(Australian source IIRC) about testing and modifying those viscous units. A guy had one chucked in a lathe and was testing/measuring it with some kind of torque wrench.

works very well i took care to not disturb the factory fliud had not come out yet the diff had just poped apart. Not far enuff to loose the viscus fliud may have lost a tiny bitt. But its my belif that a bitt less fliud will make it last longer as they have a problem with overheating and expanding till it pops apart. anyway the awd works perfectly and i torture tested it no slips and awd is right there

Is the 99 VCD swappable into the earlier 5 speeds? I keep hearing about welding up the center diff, but if the older style is not openable I dont see how people are welding them.

I dont remember the board members that have done it, but I've seen it come up in some conversations on the forum

Is the 99 VCD swappable into the earlier 5 speeds? I keep hearing about welding up the center diff, but if the older style is not openable I dont see how people are welding them.

You would have to swap the entire transfer case.

You don't have to weld the VC itself. You just weld it to the spider gears so no differentiation can occur.

GD

have mixed and macthed them but like gd says have to use the whole back half the front case and parts are the same have fixed many 5 speeds. I find they break alot more than the autos do 10 5speeds for evry one auto i do. The awd overheats if driven at to high of speed for to long or differnt tires or uneven tire preshure. And lots of main shaft support berrings or run low on oil I must be at 5 speed # 12 for thiss year