Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Aftermarket Waterpump Opinions

Rust

I replaced my waterpump with an aftermarket (non genuine subaru) waterpump and gasket. Now less than 7000 miles later its leaking again?

I threw the box away so I don't know what the manufactuer was, I bought it from Advanced AutoParts.

So before I replace it again does anyone recommend certain brands? I doubt I could even get a replacement pump from subaru.

I'm trying to decide to go with a cardone or bosh replacement from rock auto.

Any feedback on other peoples choices/recommendations appreciated.

I replaced mine with the cheapest option I found when I was changing it. Didn't have anyproblems with it. I think the most important thing is to make sure the gasket sits straight on the mounting surface and that the surfaces are clean. I used a sealing silicone with the gasket. It's still going nicely after 5 years of the swap.

You might get the leak sorted by cleaning the gasket surfaces and changing the gasket once again and use good guality gasket seal between.

I replaced my waterpump with an aftermarket (non genuine subaru) waterpump and gasket. Now less than 7000 miles later its leaking again?

I threw the box away so I don't know what the manufactuer was, I bought it from Advanced AutoParts.

So before I replace it again does anyone recommend certain brands? I doubt I could even get a replacement pump from subaru.

I'm trying to decide to go with a cardone or bosh replacement from rock auto.

Any feedback on other peoples choices/recommendations appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310496587794?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Atsugi OEM, both 104 and 110 mm listed. Cast impeller is superior flow vrs stamped metal. Delco is the only RockAuto pump listed as cast impeller these days.

But sounds like you're not sure it's the pump?

hth

Doug

I see no reason to replace the pump, just replace the gasket.

Did you use any sealant on the gasket faces? Is sealant required on the gasket on older Subaru's, I've always used it and I know many others do as well? I work almost exclusively on newer ones now so I'm starting to forget if it was required, but I know sealant is commonly used on older ones.

I would get a Subaru gasket, most aftermarket water pump gaskets are awful. Very thin and notably poorer quality than Subaru.

The leak is comming right under the waterpump. Haven't torn it appart yet to see exactly where the leak is. I used permatex on the gaskets when I installed it.

Yes the pump works great, no overheating issues.....it just leaks.

I'm wondering if I should have re-tourqed everything after the first 100 miles.

• 1 year later...

As a mechanic I'd have to say its pretty much luck of the draw. We deal with Napa parts where I work and I've done water pumps that last years or come back the next day leaking. Same with power steering pumps, alternators, starters ect. I'm not in anyway saying that all brands are created equal but like I said...some times ya get the shitty end of the stick lol also I see alot of people using different types of silicone or rvt on water pumps and o-rings and doing this is definitely not recommended. Make sure your gasket surfaces are nice and clean, clean the threads on bolts up and MOST IMPORTANTLY!!! use a torque wrench peeps!! Typically for 6mm bolts go 90 inch pounds! Good luck!

GMB pumps are pretty good quality, but I found an OE Atsugi. You're best best at one (even though not marketed as one) is from Beck/Arnley. Most of the time they are just reboxed other brand (like ACDelco) I've seen MANY pumps from BA come as Aisin, Atsugi or GMB.

But I would check the gasket first, unless you watch it welling up from the weep hole on top..