Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1988 dl

peacewize

My first subi. 1988 dl spfi ea82 with push button 4wd. Paid $700. When I got it it was running hot and leaking everything everywhere. So far I have pulled the motor put new head gaskets and resealed all the basics, cam seals valve cover oil pan power stealing res. Little tip: don't forget the o rings on the cam towers, noisy as heck and you'll have to pull it half apart again lol. Also put a new rad in. New fuel and oil filters. Brakes and plugs/wires dizzy cap timing belts and air filter were new before I bought it. New front belts. Put amber bulbs in front marker lights and rewired to turn signals. Dash clock didn't work so I installed a back up cam. Rewired speakers. Installed a factory dome light over cargo bay. And installed a cd player adapter and modded it for a cup holder. Also forgot I repainted the rusty old rims and had them balanced and replaced the rusted out muffler. Next on the list is to fix the hill holder and new front wheel bearings. Hope you like what I've done so far!

IMAG0062.jpg

IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0027.jpg

Even used Factory Clips

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0079.jpg

IMAG0074.jpg

I had a car identical to that at one point, was even from Washington state. Glad to see it's getting work done to it to assure it'll be on the road for some time. I'm guessing no power steering? I prefer manual steering sometimes. It'd be an easy enough swap if you changed your mind though. You've got access to all kinds of parts in your part of the country. Keep us updated if you get more progress done.

Nice looking wagon! Looks like you're gonna take good care of it, and for the price, I think it was a pretty good deal!

Does it have power steering? If not, and you ever wanna do the swap, contact me. I have power steering, but I prefer manual steering. We could do a trade or something. :D

Nice looking Wagon! My '88 GL Wagon is the same color, roof rack to be mounted soon.

I too would love to have the quad headlight setup for mine.

I like being able to have the Hi/Low ones properly aimed to light the lane. Then have the Hi's adjusted outwards, lighting up the sides of the road. Helps to spot those pesky Deer better.

Just can't find a "Happy Medium" with the ones on the Wagon now.

• 2 months later...

So its been a while since I updated and now everythings different on here (im computer illiterate) but I have not abandoned this project. I recently found a mechanical passenger mirror (harder than i thought) some good shocks for the rear gate and a couple different motors for the rear window washer. Also my gf bought me a sweet CB radio that i mounted in. Last I sold my truck (finally) and picked up an EJ25 (ecu/ harness/ everything) out of an '01 forester that got rolled this winter.

IMAG0192.jpg

IMAG0193.jpg

IMAG0194.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Haven't updated in a while but I'm mid ej 2.5 swap. Basically all that is left is exhaust, wiring and than put the dash back together and get a front end alignment. I'll try to post pics of my progress. So far I swapped to a variable manual steering rack, relocated the coolant reservoir, cut out the core supportand and re done it to fit an ej radiator, installed d/r trans, removed all AC components and mounted my intake in cab where the AC lines used to be. Oh and incase your wondering the new seats are out of a 2010?(maybe '09) KIA Rio :) p.s. I'm using a 110 stick welder I bought off amazon. It's taken a while to get the hang of it and I wasn't very good at welding to begin with but it's working just fine I think.

• 1 year later...

haven't updated all year. Quick over view. Finished my ej swap last spring was amazing until i jumped timing this summer. Working on rebuilding it now. Lots of pics to show some stuff I've done. All the trim inside from the doors up have been removed. All the wiring was pulled and ran through the roof channel. Sound deadener was put in the doors and roof, LED dome lights front and back. The antenna was pulled and a small power antenna was put on the dash. Turned the lower pocket into a gauge pod. Swapped in an AWD D/R 3.7 trans and matching diff. Found Some 15" Allied Armament rims in Oregon. Converted all the lug bolts over to a 12x1.50 style so I could put different nuts on. UEL Headers half wrapped and coated. Flowmaster super 40 series muffler. 2" lift Using tempo/ accord/ toyota setup new shocks all around. Rear disk brake conversion (will be finished this week) Rebuilt calipers ceramic brake pads. K&N Apollo filter. Front seats swapped from a 2007 KIA Rio, bed lined the door panels, new axles, new wheel bearings. Tinted windows, painted hammered finish black, New EJ radiator and dual 12" fans. Im sure Im forgetting something but any questions just ask :) Check out my photobucket for the rest of my pics Im only going to post the highlights here.

thank you. Just finished the rear disk swap, got very lucky finding the backing plates so easy. Just wanted to show for anyone thinking of doing this you don't need the rubber line going to the caliper if you don't mind disconnecting the hard line anytime you need to remove it. You can re bend the old hard line straight to the caliper. Also if anyone is interested the part number for the new lug studs is 610-276. Its a 12x1.50 so you have more lug nut options

WP_20150102_001.jpgWP_20150103_001.jpgWP_20150103_004.jpg