Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake Bleeding

jj421

Okay, this may seem like a really easy thing to do. But I just wanna make sure I get this right. So my brake pedal in my Loyale is pretty mushy. Have to push the pedal down a bit to get decent braking power. I've got enough pressure to lock up the wheels, but that's if I slam on the brakes on a rainy day. So I was thinking of getting one of those cheap one-man brake bleeding kits and bleed my brakes. Would like to get some new brake fluid going through the system too, as the fluid I have in my car doesn't look, "clean."

Basically, I wanna know in what order I bleed the brakes in. Which wheel first, second, third, fourth. After searching a bit, it looks like Subaru has a diagonal brake system, so you have to bleed the brakes in a diagonal pattern. But I'm still just a little unclear on the order.

I'd also like to know if I can bleed the brakes with the wheels on and the car on the ground. Maybe I'm fine lifting the car, but I hate taking off those dang hubcaps! :D Basically, could I do this in the parking lot of O'Reilly after I pick up the bleeding kit?

Alright, thanks! :)

DS rear-PS front,

PS rear-DS front.

Can be done with wheels on and vehicle sitting on the ground, if you can slide under the rear enough to reach bleeders.

Front wheels can be turned out to access the bleeders.

I don't reccomend doing it in their parking lot...

Get a bag of cheap kitty litter to asorb the old fluid that gets spilled.

A short length of hose from bleeder(s) into a catch can is best way to it.

Don't forget to keep the MC topped off while bleeding the system.

One does not want to have to chase a self-induced air bubble out of the system. Trust me on that one.

Okay, sweet, thanks! I plan on getting one of those cheap $7 kits that come with tubing and a container, so hopefully that'll work okay.

I guess I'll gravity bleed then vacuum bleed. I definitely want some new fluid going through the system. And of course; I knew about keeping the MC topped off.

Again, thanks!