Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Craptachi problems?

So, my 85 brat has been sitting since September. Now the accelerator pump only drips fuel. Did the plunger dry out? Do I need to rebuild the carb? It idles smoothly and all the timing marks match up on the disty and flywheel. Get it anywhere near 1500rpm and it yells at me like its a timing issue. Is it the carb?

Check the vacuum lines. Sounds like a leak somewhere. I would seriously look at a Weber upgrade. Plenty of info here on it. No idea on how long you have let it run since restarting it but i would put a little fresh fuel in it and see if that smoothes it out, as well as a new cap and rotor (they are cheap), the basic tune-up stuff if you haven't already. Check your disty for wobble as well.

Edited by jonas

Went through and checked all the vacuum lines. There were a few cracked ones and a few loose ones here and there. I played with the vacuum advancement a little and now I can just about hit 3k. I also am going to throw it some fresh gas and see how it likes that.

And Jonas: new Cap, rotor button, and NGK plugs & wires. Ran for a day till the ignition module died.

Edited by BratRod

Clogged Primary Main passage. Possibly other places too.

First, Remove the drain bolts on the bottom of carb.

Then, looking down the barrels you will see brass jet/emulsion tube. Sometimes you can clean them out with carb cleaner and compressed air without removing the top of carb.

Otherwise, disconnect the return spring, choke link(tiny cotterpin), and accel pump linkage.....then unscrew the top, and fold it back. Take care to move the wiring around carefully out of it's clip, and not tear the wires.

Then the emulsion tubes can be unscrewed, and thoughroughly cleaned out. 4 in total. Blow out the passages while they are out. COVER the accel pump barrel and weight to keep the plunger and ball from blowing out when you hit the emulsion passages.

The carb does'nt need to come out to do this...and it takes care of 95% of the hitachi's driveablitly issues 99% of the time;)

Dang......I really need to do a youtube video of this.

I was having electrical problems, a short here, ground problem there, then the ignition module died... Etc. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=136045

when I took the advance off and moved it manually I had no problems with reaching red line in a heart beat. Only problem now is I have to find a new timing advance

I was having electrical problems, a short here, ground problem there, then the ignition module died... Etc. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=136045

when I took the advance off and moved it manually I had no problems with reaching red line in a heart beat. Only problem now is I have to find a new timing advance

Oh ok, Part shopping you go have fun!

you wont find a vacuum can except maybe a junk yard (I got lucky and found a good one).

there are places that rebuild them. no idea what is around your area, but look for a place that rebuilds or custom builds distributors. the cost at the local place was $25 to have it rebuilt.

you wont find a vacuum can except maybe a junk yard (I got lucky and found a good one).

there are places that rebuild them. no idea what is around your area, but look for a place that rebuilds or custom builds distributors. the cost at the local place was $25 to have it rebuilt.

I will look into that for sure. Thanks for the tip