Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fwd l series saloon 4wd conversion?

Hi guys. I have a 1.6 dl l series saloon that I would love to convert to 4wd.The problem is getting a 4wd l series for parts, they really dont exist over here any more. I have a 1.8 gl 4wd estate, which is one of eight left on the roads in the uk, so parts are scarce.

My question is, would the drivetrain from any other subaru bolt up to the car? The engine will also be changed to a ej20 or ej22.

I have heard of a 2.2 legacy 4wd that is laid up in my area, but havent approached the guy yet, as he is a bit of a hoarder. Any help would be great , Thanks, Justin

The rear EA82 suspension is completely different than the EJ platform, so no, the rear suspension will not bolt up and would require a lot of fabrication to get it to work. An EJ transmission will fit but requires a custom made crossmember or one from and xt6.

Buying a parts car over here and having it shipped over might be your best bet or just have the parts you need shipped over. Seems like a trade would be easy if you could come up with a D/R EJ 5MT transmission:brow:

Josh

I have came accross a 4wd estate in England, so hopefully that works out. That dual range transmission you mentioned, what car did that come in over here?

It sounds like it should work. I think theres a couple write-ups on how convert to 4wd, so I'd try searching around and see what you find. The search function in the forum can be buggy, so I just use google and include ultimatesubaru.org in the search.

As far as the EJ Dual Range..one out of a forester xt would suit me well, it has a 4.44 final drive. I think they also came in outbacks and some legacys, but were geared a little higher(4.11 ands 3.90). I'm not sure about the year, but as long as it has a hi/lo shifter and it has an EJ motor, its good. If you could line up some ej d/r transmissions and a way to ship them, it might be worth some side cash for you. I'd buy one!

Josh

Go for the estate wagon. you can swap between ea81 and ea82 generation cars fairly easily with little or no mods.

What year are your cars?

My estate l series is 1986. The saloon is 1991. The car in England is far south, which leaves it hard for me to get collected. I am waiting to see if I can find another closer.