Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I thought the dash lights (and radio controls) were completely dark but, they appear to vary from extremely dim to off when I turn the dimmer control on the left stalk of my wife's 03 H6 OBW.

I'm gonna try changing the Illumination Control Module (part # 83023AE01A) but I was wondering if someone could point me to the general area it would be installed. It seems some cars have it behind the radio, others near the glove box..

thanx in advance

Before replacing the module I suggest you check to make sure that power is getting to the lights. You should have 12 volts getting to the lights possibly on a violet wire. The module controls the return side of the light circuit.

there is definitely 'some' amount of current thru the lights as they are on very dimly, but, i will try to check voltages on the violet and the , is it orange and wht?, wires. I suppose there could be a ground somewhere that is poor, just seems odd it went bad so quickly.

I'm recovering from a severe cold/sinus infection but, maybe tomorrow I'll be able to crawl around under the dash without passing out lol!

• 2 weeks later...
It should be on the kick panel under the steering column. Take the panel down (under 4 screws), and it's on the back side. It's square and says illumination control on it.

do you mean pull the plastic trim under the column? Looks like a screw on the right and maybe a couple of push-clips on the door side. Is that it?

it certainly is a mess up under there and just looking from the floor, I couldn't see anything that made sense.

Oh, I know the green connectors should be disconnected except for certain test purposes, but there was a disconnected white conn. as well. Couldn't see where it might go, it is near the green conns. and has very little 'slack'.

anyway, if anyone knows of a drawing or good diagram/photo of what that area looks like and where this module is, i would forever be in your debt if you could point me to it. I don't WANT it to be behind the radio, but it seems it is on earlier year models.

PLUS, I'm told by Fred Beans that this module is discontinued and no one has any. maybe I can disassemble and troubleshoot it?

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

^ yep. The rarely fail, so junk yard is a great option.

Not the plastic on the bottom of the steering column. It's the kick pannel. What your knee bangs into if you put the seat too far forward.

Kind of a crappy pic I googled up, I think it's a 2nd gen. But same thing. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3319/3492181911_2c313122ed.jpg

^ yep. The rarely fail, so junk yard is a great option.

Not the plastic on the bottom of the steering column. It's the kick pannel. What your knee bangs into if you put the seat too far forward.

Kind of a crappy pic I googled up, I think it's a 2nd gen. But same thing. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3319/3492181911_2c313122ed.jpg

yeah, I didn't mean the column, but that piece you indicated. (although I don't think it's like the pic in the link)

I've read the module is behind the radio in 2000 or maybe 2001 so, hope it IS behind that kick panel.

rather have a module in my hand before I take my wife's car apart though since it isn't 'critical' to driving the car. Since I can vary the lighting from 'incredibly dim' to 'extremely dim' , I know the stalk control is working at least.