Ultimate Subaru Message Board

05-09 legacy wagon shocks? wtf?

Ibreakstuff

Just throwing out an idea here.. Has anyone tried to fit 05-09 BP Legacy wagon rear shocks on a ea82 chassis? I didn't realize that subaru had gone back to a regular shock design (single mounting point at the bottom). Im tempted to buy a set to see if the tophats can be swapped.

I just bought new gr2's and cut down some 196lbs 2wd wagon spring to 11 inches (~210-230 lbs now). Not sure if the BP rear shocks would actually be an upgrade. I am unsure of the spring or damper rates on the BP legacy wagons as well..

kgrhqrhjdif6fndzswbqbkz.jpg

Yep, I did, and WJM did before me. We had the same issue. The Multilink rear suspension ('00+ Legacy/Baja/Outback, '08+ Impreza/Forester) does not pivot front to back at all, and so there isn't a big bushing in the top mount. WJM and I both removed that bushing, and solid-mounted the shock to the mount.....and we both broke the shock shaft.

Subaru multilinks also use a larger bolt in the bottom mount, so a bushing is required to take up that slack. Not impossible, but another hoop to jump through.

My thread on the subject (I actually used NA chassis Miata shocks, but they're almost identical). And how it resulted (cliff notes: with coilover sleeve springs, NB miata shocks are a perfect fit).

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=78684

Someone on the XT boards made an extension for the shaft so he could use '08+ STi shocks on his XT and maintain that upper bushing. He had minor issues with the spring perches (larger diameter than the EA82s) rubbing on the chassis, but he was able to clearance it.

His thread:

http://subaruxt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=138146#p138146

Yep, I did, and WJM did before me. We had the same issue. The Multilink rear suspension ('00+ Legacy/Baja/Outback, '08+ Impreza/Forester) does not pivot front to back at all, and so there isn't a big bushing in the top mount. WJM and I both removed that bushing, and solid-mounted the shock to the mount.....and we both broke the shock shaft.

Subaru multilinks also use a larger bolt in the bottom mount, so a bushing is required to take up that slack. Not impossible, but another hoop to jump through.

My thread on the subject (I actually used NA chassis Miata shocks, but they're almost identical). And how it resulted (cliff notes: with coilover sleeve springs, NB miata shocks are a perfect fit).

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=78684

Someone on the XT boards made an extension for the shaft so he could use '08+ STi shocks on his XT and maintain that upper bushing. He had minor issues with the spring perches (larger diameter than the EA82s) rubbing on the chassis, but he was able to clearance it.

His thread:

http://subaruxt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=138146#p138146

Thanks for that info, I remember reading that post regarding miata shocks. I even had it bookmarked lol.

The subaruxt post is amazing too, I had to BFH my 07 front struts and smooth out he inside of the strut tower to gain clearance similar to the guy in the post. A camber/caster plate could probably resolve the issues in the front without moving/removing metal.

I almost pulled the trigger today on some used ksport gravel coilovers for a BP legacy, one of them was leaking pretty bad and needed a rebuild or I would have. I guess eventually I need to pay up and get some proper coilovers lol. We will see how many rallycross events I can do next year before the kyb gr2's blow up.

If I find some cheap multilink legacy shocks I'll try to fit them and take a bunch of pictures.

I have BC coil overs for a 05 Legacy in the rear of my 89 RX. The EA82 top mount needs to be modded some to attach to the shock. For the bottom, I just removed the backing nut for the stock bolt and drilled the hole out to fit the new bolt size. Then used a longer bolt.

For the fronts, 02 WRX model was used and they bolted right up with no mods. For earlier years this may not be the case and the top hat mounting points will need to be redone.

Thanks go out to Suberdave for this info.

Edited by Turbone

suberdave,

i just looked at your link, and wagon, very nice gl10 you have. my question for you is, do you have a template to lay over the top of the strut mount in the front? i onwn a 05 LGT and a loyale so if such a set up is possible for me id like to make the job a little easy for me...

thanks, Kris

i dont. each hole was just pushed out about 3/8". if i were to do it over i would just get a set of WRX top hats, and then they would be bolt in...

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com

suberdave,

i just looked at your link, and wagon, very nice gl10 you have. my question for you is, do you have a template to lay over the top of the strut mount in the front? i onwn a 05 LGT and a loyale so if such a set up is possible for me id like to make the job a little easy for me...

thanks, Kris

Thats great to hear, thinking things would get hard to find a way to make the suspention stouter than it was stock. and to bring it down about an inch or two. Heading to the yard to find parts. Will an 05wrx tophats work? Think I know where I can get a pair of fronts for free.

Kris

Thats great to hear, thinking things would get hard to find a way to make the suspention stouter than it was stock. and to bring it down about an inch or two. Heading to the yard to find parts. Will an 05wrx tophats work? Think I know where I can get a pair of fronts for free.

Kris

05 wrx tophats will fit but you may need to slot the strut holes some.

Just a word of caution tho, the huge GD/legacy OEM spring.. 148mm at the bottom, just barely fits in my strut towers. The lower spring perch rubbed slightly, I used a bfh and an angle grinder to give it some more room.

Trying to find some affordable coilovers is a pain, I found some good used front cusco coilovers with blown pillow ball bearings, just have to press in/out a new bearing and my fronts will be sorted. On the hunt for rears with a similar problem. This seems to be the only benefit to the pot holes here... blown pillow ball mounts all over the place.

Edited by Ibreakstuff