Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GL-10 Accessory Relay Location????

Tonight, the Gremlins attacked!!!!! I was driving Murphy, the $500 87 Turbo Wagon, and went to a store. When i went inside I had turned the car off, and everything was, well, off. When I came back outside 15 minutes later.... The car stereo was on. Of course, the keys were in my pocket, so I definitely didn't leave them in the ignition. Got in the car, turned the ignition, started the car, then turned it off.... and a bout 3 to five seconds later, the stereo came back on!

Hmmm. A mystery!

I was thinking that the ignition switch might be the problem. But no. When I got home, I disconnected it, and the stereo still stayed on. OK. I was thinking the relay for the accessory circuit was right on the inner dash in the driver side. Pulled the two molex connectors from them... And the radio was still on. Pulling the radio fuse finally shut it down.

Since the windscreen wipers also were suddenly working sans key, I'm thinking that the accessory relay is stuck in the closed position. If someone could be so kind as to pointing out the location of the beast, I would be most grateful.

There is no accessory relay that I am aware of in the car. Power normally passes through the ignition switch and then to the dash fuse panel. The power for the radio appears to have been modified since it should pass through the ignition switch. When you disconnected the ignition switch the radio should have cut off. If you are sure that the ignition switch wiring has been disconnected then either someone has modified the way power gets to the radio through the fuse panel or power is getting bypassed to that area somehow. The dash fuse panel is the first area to check for a problem. Power coming from the ACC position of the ignition switch should be on a blue wire going to fuses 13, 14, 15, and 16.

I've been the only one to modify these circuits, And I haven't done anything to any of the accessories since i installed this stereo about two years ago. It doesn't affect IGN mode, as the headlights and warning light check only come on when the key is in the proper position.

I'm looking at the fuse panel right now, but I don't see anything wrong there. Now that I'm deeper into the diagnostic, I have found there are four relays right under the dash. Unplugging all of those does not solve this problem.

Found the circuit with the leak..... It's the fan circuit. After noting the bus containing the wipers, fan, mirror motors, and radio all shared the + feed from the ignition, i pulled each of the fuses one at a time. Lo and behold, as soon as I pulled the fan fuse the wayward devices shut down.

Of course, now, all of a sudden.... Everything is working properly. Go figure.

The ACC lead that comes from the ignition switch is a different contact than the IGN contact.

The only thing that I can think of that happened is the fan (I assume you mean the blower and not the cooling fan) is back feeding voltage to the other circuits from another source of power. I could see that happening if it is the cooling fan circuit since it is hot at all times and doesn't pass through the ignition switch.

Looking at the data again it shows that power to the blower relay for the blower is hot at all times also. So a bridged connection there could have caused the trouble.

Edited by Cougar

Yes. I do mean blower. On the fuse panel, is does say fan though. You're suggestion makes sense... Now... Where is the blower relay?

Except, it can't be the relay if one of those is one of the four i already unplugged. Interestingly enough, when I have the blower fuse pulled, the blower still works when the key is switched to ACC mode. Wonder if it will work if I also pull the stereo fuse?

Will do more diagnostic tomorrow.

Edited by Sonicfrog

Fuse #1 ties to the blower relay using a grn/wht wire which splices onto a orn/wht wire, which ties to the blower. The return side of the motor ties to the resistors and then they tie to the speed switch and ground. I suggest check you check the fuse panel and wiring to it for the problem.

You stated that you pulled the fuse for the blower and the blower still runs, even with the relay pulled. Are you sure you have the correct relay? If you do have the correct one then the bridged power connection has to be after the relay connections. I suspect though you may be pulling out the wrong relay. Check the other fuses to see if you can disable the fan that way for more clues to the source of the power. If pulling all the fuses still doesn't kill the fan then we need to look for power inputs not going through the fuse panel or ignition switch.