Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TSB from AU/NZ concerning Gates timing belt installlation

Pretty much the reason. They started putting the crank guide plate on manual transmission cars as when they were on the boat getting shipped, they were left in gear and would jump the timing belt.

I don't get it.

The timing belt doesn't have that much load on it. It just drives the camshaft(s) and the water-pump.

And in any case, wouldn't the parking brake be on whilst in transit?

Ocean = salt water = rusty disk calipers = frozen brakes

So most likely not. yes the cars are secured below deck, but there is a reason why every inch of a ship is either painted or made out of something that wont easily rust.

And not every car jockey sets the parking brake

I recall a rash of jumped timing in the first 'wave' of FE/FWD cars in the 70s due to being towed when in gear. I don't think many of those were interference engines, but folks would go down to the impound and the car wouldn't run.

:confused:

No timing belts on those.

:confused:

No timing belts on those.

my 78 Civic had a belt. IIRC (and WAS interference) - my 81 Civic wagon did. they go back to the 60s but weren't common.

might've been the early 80s - whenever the first ones started showing up 'en masse' it was a problem because tow truck drivers were accustomed to just dragging stuff away. If they dragged it backwards with it in first gear, some engines would turn backwards and jump time.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Hm I don't know all applications that use the guide plate, I just assumed it was on all MT soobs. I thought I remember seeing on Endwrench that it was to prevent them from jumping time if parked in gear on a steep hill, I think that's what they said.

That's what I remember too. So it took the aftermarket something like 10-15 years to catch up.

Haha 10-15 years well hm not sure what to say about that. I think the Subaru docs said to leave 1mm clearance between the guide and belt. That is kind of tight, but I mean, that's a ton of clearance if using a feeler gauge, so whoever did those jobs that Gates had the trouble with failing obviously didn't follow the Subaru procedure.

• 2 months later...

I got one of these tools in today.  Pretty simple and really not much to it.  Will test out on the next belt change.  For those of us that do this for a living this is great.  But certainly not a required thing since I have been installing these belts for years without one.  Nice for the piece of mind.

List price is $24.64.  I can ship them if someone wants one.   If I order more than one at a time I can do them with shipping for the list price.