Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"help out a Navy Seal" Can't find proper brake pad clip for 2002 Outback?

Friend has a 2002 Outback that has a different pad than my 02 and 03 Outbacks and they are all identical vehicles - H6, VDC. Searching online, it all looks like the ones in my Outbacks.

How do I get the correct front pad clips for this car?

I typed in a few different years and am having a problem locating them.

I have seen those style pads before. They have wider "ears" than my OB's...Problem is the brake pad clips are missing (just had a wheel bearing replaced at a shop, guess they lost them or tried to replace them like i am and can't find them).

This doesn't make any sense, but I think i can at least get the right ones for his vehicle by getting the "2003 style" here:

03 clips listed here:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_disc-brake-hardware-kit-wearever_20310156-p?searchTerm=brake+clips

02 clips listed here:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_disc-brake-hardware-kit-wearever_20310144-p?searchTerm=brake+clips

What is strange is that my 02 and 03 Outbacks both have the same clips (the 2002 ones listed above). So.....

My 03 has "02" pads?

My friends 02 has "03" pads?

brief amount of digging 'seems' to indicate some difference between pad anti-rattle clip 26232ac000 and the updated number 26232fe002 (replaced fe001)

but I can't find reliable pics to know what looks like what.

some people run without them. might get a little noise occasionally. (it would bug me not to install them though)

Hm I've never seen that '03 style but my soobs are older, all using that second style. I wonder if they are interchangeable. If so maybe that's just what came with the pad kit when he had the brakes done so that's what was put in? Kind of surprised they get $20 for just those clips even in the aftermarket.

I often skip the shims but I don't think I'd skip those clips since it provides a nice smooth shiny surface for the pad ears to move on, rather than against the rusty and much rougher caliper bracket.

Hm I've never seen that '03 style but my soobs are older, all using that second style. I wonder if they are interchangeable. If so maybe that's just what came with the pad kit when he had the brakes done so that's what was put in? Kind of surprised they get $20 for just those clips even in the aftermarket.

I often skip the shims but I don't think I'd skip those clips since it provides a nice smooth shiny surface for the pad ears to move on, rather than against the rusty and much rougher caliper bracket.

might be worth shopping around as I saw prices under $5 (dunno if that was each - likely - or for a pair though)

They are not interchangeable, different pad shapes, etc. The clips won't install in the caliper nor will the pads fit in the clips...has to all match, like a puzzle.

It is noisy, a very strange and unexpected noisy too, without the clips, that's why I was trying to fix it to begin with.

One of those between years where Subaru was updating brake parts and just tossed on whatever they had left. Definitely something to look out for though.

These tend to be very easy to knock off so I wouldn't doubt the shop may have lost them and didn't even realize it.

$20 for a set seems stupid expensive though.

Almost wonder if the dealer stocks them cheaper.

Rockauto lists them for $5-6, But shipping from them sucks for something so small.

i checked and the rotors appear the same size...but if they're 1/4" off or something i may not have noticed since i didn't whip out a ruler.

i have seen these style pads before, I'm just a bit confused by this 02 has them and my 03 OB doesn't...but, my 03 is an H6 OB Sedan rather than a wagon, so who knows. Those aren't that common so maybe they just got whatever tossed on them, LOL

some people run without them. might get a little noise occasionally. (it would bug me not to install them though)
the pads were "chipped" around the edges, maybe just coincidence but i was wondering if the fatigue from moving/sliding/hitting the caliper bracket may have caused that? mainly the top edge i believe, so that's not in contact with anything. either way, not a big deal as i'm installing new pads. Edited by grossgary

Clips didn't work - so 02 and 03 clips don't work on this 02 OBW? But I found pads that do.

I had a set of pads in my garage that were the right pads....but online is unbelievably confusing. The websites are saying that these pads fit 2002 Subaru Outbacks H6's...and they definitely do not fit mine nor are the standard offerings from most online suppliers for that year model...so I still can't figure out what these pads come from?

AC Delco 14D721C

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-14D721C-Advantage-Front-Ceramic/dp/B004960WY0

GM# 19286074

Searching by that last "GM" number gives more hits.

wow - what a debacle. i finally found at least a picture of the clips that i need - they're very "short", only like half of a normal Subaru clip, like here:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_premium-ceramic-brake-pads-wearever-platinum_10145783-p?searchTerm=front+brake+hardware

That is showing for a 1999 Forester.

Parts stores do not seem to carry them, guess I'll have to order it online.

okay finally found them locally here:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_disc-brake-hardware-kit-wearever_20310144-p?searchTerm=brake+hardware

Apparently the 721 designation i a key help in narrowing this down.

Edited by grossgary