Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission swap Questions

I'm looking at buying an EA82 turbo wagon bith a bad auto transmission. I'm hoping to swap to a D/R 5 speed and so far have a donor JY vehicle and wanted to see i'f I've missed anything.

I'm looking at

Trans with crossmember

Driveline

Console

Front CV axles (need replacement)

Pedal cluster and Clutch cable

I was wondering if I need anything else and if I even need the driveline.

Also, With the D/R swap what considerations will I need to keep in mind to retain Cruise Control?

I know people on here have done this swap and know a LOT more than I do so do a little searching for other people's swap it will be helpful for you to see there problems etc. If I remember correctly I read you will need the other drive line because the auto one is shorter. Also Idk if it's the same with Subaru but a lot of cars have beefier joints on a Manuel drive line than they're auto counterparts.

You'll need the flywheel and clutch too

I know people on here have done this swap and know a LOT more than I do so do a little searching for other people's swap it will be helpful for you to see there problems etc. If I remember correctly I read you will need the other drive line because the auto one is shorter. Also Idk if it's the same with Subaru but a lot of cars have beefier joints on a Manuel drive line than they're auto counterparts.

You'll need the flywheel and clutch too

I know someone else will chime in on this too...but I think you have to change the ecu and the wire harness for the trans... Is it full time or push button? I think the axles are different too but not sure-I DO NOT like autos-I avoid them like the plague but they ALWAYS have clean bodies because they can"t go anywhere near dirt or a hill-they won"t make it!! Good luck!

The car is an 86 so I'm not too sure I'm going to look at it tonight. I think its push button.

I know the 5spd HI-LO and the pushbutt. wiring IS different-My 90 loy.was pushbutt.and was done before I got it so I have plugs hanging... my 4x lights on dash don"t work Oh well the lever tells me where it"s at. It barely sits long enough for me to change the oil-I"m moving so the 650mi.commute from hell is almost done :banghead: I rescued the car in july fixed oil leaks,windshield,muffler,time belt broke at 11pm 1night on I:70 threw a spare on to get home next morn.did belts been runnin it"s arse off back an forth to delta,Co.every 4 days:banghead:

Dont forget the clutch and flywheel and the bolts that hold it to the crank. make sure to keep the bolts with the trans crossmember as they are longer than the at.

you will have to defeat the neutral safety with a pushbutton or jumper the wires in the console, and invent wiring for the reverse lites.

although it is easier to swap whole driveshafts, only the front half is specific tho the trans, and the rear half is the same between mt and at, and contain the u-joints.

the best axles to use are turbo axles for a 3spd auto sine they are 23 spline and will fit on the dual range non turbo.

the pushbutton trans has a vacuum solenoid and you will have to hardwire it to your shift knob or a pair of ganged switches

Miles, Thanks for the reminder about the flywheel and clutch. I shouldn't have to worry about the 4wd vacuum solenoid as I'm going to the manual dual range. I just won't have the 4wd lights on the dash. about the CV's, will have an issue with the turbo front hub spline count versus the non turbo trans splines.