Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help with noise from rear wheels?

so...98 forester, almost 200k miles.

i'm used to a farily loud car as mine has an aftermarket header and exhaust. at interstate or highway speeds recently, i can hear some noise from the back wheels. it's fairly loud. my mind wants to make it into the sound you get from grooved pavement, but it's not that because i can hear normal tire on pavement sounds coming from the front wheels.

i figure it's one of three things, but i'm not a mechanic, hence i'd appreciate some input from the forum: wheel bearings? out of alignment? rear dif?

thanks for any input.

Those would be all possiblities. Wheel bearings would be a good suspect at that mileage, plus Foresters and Imprezas did have some issues with those in the rear around that time. Sometimes if you shake the wheel hard with your hands you can feel the looseness, but not always (can be noisy way before you feel any looseness).

Loading one side in a moderate-speed turn can also help to isolate which side it is. If a slight turn to the right produces more noise, its the left rear. Another way is to jack up the rear, disengage parking brake, and turn each rear wheel while holding a breaker bar against the strut/coil and up against your ear like a stethoscope. You'll hear the vibration loud and clear if its the wb.

If you have all wheels off the ground, rotate each wheel with one hand and place your other hand on the spring coil. Any roughness in the bearing will transmit to the spring and be felt through your hand.

This can also point you to the wrong wheel, or not actually happen even if the wheel bearing is making a lot of noise... Look a few posts down for my 2000 outback :banghead:

thanks forum folks for all the feedback. i haven't had the wheels off the ground yet. one thing i am noticing, is that the noise isn't just at highway speed, as i first stated. it's pretty much always there, just increases quite a bit at 45+mph. you can hear it at 25 and 30 tho too. noise builds with speed and drowns out my usual purr. luckily we are still in biking weather...

• 1 month later...