Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Smiley..........

monstaru

Holy balls, that axle looks more reinforced than one you'd see on a monster truck!

So what're your plans for an engine? 2.2, 2.5, 2.0 turbo wrx motor, or do you have room for an eg33?

I have a franken motor going into it.Unless you completely removed the firewall and revamped it, you would not have room for an EG33.

I believe in low power more gears.This is not a mud truck.:drunk:

cheers

Ah, good to know. You'd think that if people fit Chevy smallblocks into Toyotas, one could fit a 6 cylinder boxer. I mean... since you're custom fabbing everything, couldn't you just shift everything back a few inches?

It is the width between framerails.NOt depth.

If a guy were to link the front end it would make it easier,but.....

cheers

Ah I gotcha. Didn't realize the EG33 was that much wider. And I suppose if you really wanted the power, you could much more easily drop in a WRX motor since you have plenty of room for intercooler piping. But like you said, a frankenmotor or even just a rebuilt 2.5 would probably fit the bill fine.

Ah I gotcha. Didn't realize the EG33 was that much wider. And I suppose if you really wanted the power, you could much more easily drop in a WRX motor since you have plenty of room for intercooler piping. But like you said, a frankenmotor or even just a rebuilt 2.5 would probably fit the bill fine.

I do not think it is necessarily wider.But as it is I have to move the EJ series up above the framerails.And turbo in racing ids awesome,to much to worry about on a trail system....etc.....

The framerals are lke 19" wide-ish...

The EJ is 22"-ish

i wish something like an eg33 would fit in there, because that would be just awesome. But looking at that engine bay you're going to be tight with an ej22. what i was able to do on my mazda was basically put the bottom of the heads right above the frame rail. i just wonder how close that will get you to being lined up.

i ordered a second bell housing from bill, so i'm shoving an eg33 in something, i don't know what yet, but damn it i'll make it fit in something fun. :grin:

i wish something like an eg33 would fit in there, because that would be just awesome. But looking at that engine bay you're going to be tight with an ej22. what i was able to do on my mazda was basically put the bottom of the heads right above the frame rail. i just wonder how close that will get you to being lined up.

i ordered a second bell housing from bill, so i'm shoving an eg33 in something, i don't know what yet, but damn it i'll make it fit in something fun. :grin:

Since he's pretty much having to custom fab everything, wouldn't be that difficult to cut out the existing "frame rails" and make more room. I've been considering doing that to mine anyway just cause they're so weak and I wanna make a full subframe under my car that ties into the bumpers.

Since he's pretty much having to custom fab everything, wouldn't be that difficult to cut out the existing "frame rails" and make more room. I've been considering doing that to mine anyway just cause they're so weak and I wanna make a full subframe under my car that ties into the bumpers.

Your still talking unibody.Your going to have to talk live axle for me to be able to understand you.My build man.Don't need ideas.Just spectators;)

I am FULLY aware of what I could do.Hell, I know what I shouldn't do.

The frame is a pretty integral part of the steering setup.ADjusting it just brings more variables.

This is a long term project for me.I will build it until I cannot use a body panel on it.But it will still have that frame until the very end.Adjusting something now for a little more room is luidicrous, when I can flatbelly the truck instead by leaving the framerails alone, and suck my trans and T=case up.

I'll take the flatbelly....Just sayin.

I literally fabricate for a living.Auto stuff is a hobby, but am not afraid to jump down any rabbithole.I have a specific set of ideas that I am working towards.

KISS

I will be able to start looking at mounting the engine as soon as I get off my rump roast to do it.I have a 4 day weekend coming up, that is gonna be awesome !

I shall throw the engine in the engine bay and see exactly where it sits.

Anyone know the natural inclination degree that the EJ motor needs to sit at?

I can eyeball it to my other Subies, but degrees would be awesome!

Things still left to do:

mount bumpstops

final weld additions

assemble and mount front axle

Weld v6 carrier

install engine(build motor mounts)

engine wiring

build t=case crossmember

install seats

I know there is more...

cheers

Edited by monstaru

Looking good mang.:clap: Diff looks strong:eek:

Jesse

Yeah, You didna miss much !:-pJust me flailing around the shop like an idiot throwing tube around.It did work out pretty sweet I must say.

I don't think I'll be able to come to the shop this weekend.I'll be down here puttin in time.I'd really like to get that drivetrain mounted!

cheers

Alright Boys.This is where we are at with this....After I show ya some creative nature that I had.I dunno If it is cool , or Awesome.But I am sure it is one of them )

IMG_5767_zps98339855.jpg

IMG_5768_zps27205183.jpg

Fuk it right?

IMG_5770_zps82486417.jpg

IMG_5771_zpse9bb1264.jpg

%Theclearance issues ensue

IMG_5775_zps89b3f953.jpg

You gotta look at that one for a second....

OK, There was interferance as we saw above.The trans was hitting the tunnel, and the engine needed to be up off of the framerails.

IMG_5777_zpsbefda242.jpg

Time to cut this out so I can bring UP the whole shebang a skosch

IMG_5781_zpsb89b64c0.jpg

After cutting, and lifting up, cutting and lifting up, massaging areas etc..

IMG_5785_zps0bd34cf0.jpg

It is barely high enough right?

IMG_5784_zps54c861b6.jpg

Starter is gonna be RIGHT next to the GO pedal....

IMG_5786_zps361dd83e.jpg

So I moved the whole shebang in forward about 6 inches to get the height, and clearance for the shift fork.The starter will be into the firewall a couple of inches but thats it...WHEWW

LADIES AND GENTLEMAN, BOYS AND GIRLS.THE WORLDS(MAYBE)FIRST SUBARU ENGInE INTO A TOYOTA TRUCK!!!

Connected...

IMG_5789_zps24f83442.jpg

Just about axactly the space I need for the header.( I put the block there to keep the engine "flat".

IMG_5790_zpse186cfd9.jpg

JUST BARELY :headbang::clap:

IMG_5793_zpsd166762e.jpg

IMG_5794_zpsd16ff8cf.jpg

TIme to move onto the T-case and engine mounts.

cheers:cool::grin:

• Like 1

Wow. That's crazy. How far do you think you've lifted the drivetrain to get to that point? Hows the clearance at the front?

That's awesome. But makes me really glad I didn't try to do an EG33 into my truck when I did the swap. I knew I didn't have the skills/equipment/space for the fab work to do it, and I massively underestimated how much would be needed.

I raise a glass to you for doing it. :drunk: Cheers!!

Well,I have no idea how the factory drivetrain fit , so I have nothing to have kept me down :)LOL

If it would not have been a factory truck, I might have moved the front axle forward.Still may...:-p

I seem to be able to fab************ now, so I can make a relocation kit pretty easily.

Although working from home is mad slow.When I can use my lunch to cut ************ out ...It is awesome

cheers

I may have to move the axle forward.

After looking at clearance issues with the heads I might even HAVE to Clearance the frame for some exhaust studs...

I am also wishing that I would have just gotten a Toyota motor:grin:

Kidding, Just seeing who is paying attention.

cheers

I am also wishing that I would have just gotten a Toyota motor:grin:

Kidding, Just seeing who is paying attention.

cheers

Or just done the 4.3 Vortec swap and call it a day. Plenty of stuff out there for that, and very common.....

But wait its you, and your gotta do the strange and impossible to show everyone its can be done, and to shut the hell up, quite being a key board fabber and get out there and try it :headbang::clap: