Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Smiley..........

monstaru

The 4.3 swap is kinda dumb to me.You gain all this weight for a little bit more power(in comparison to MY swap)My engine is about 180-200hp, the 4.3 stock-ish is like 170 ish to 195 ish hp.But it weighs about 200ish pounds more than my EJ does.I am not to worried about the swap.

I went wheeling yesterday with some new friends for some inspiration.And to memorialize a HUGE name in the Industry that is finally at rest.RIP Bobby Long

IMG_1201_zpsa5727acf.jpg

IMG_1198_zpsa2f9d8bd.jpg

I rode all day in this rig

IMG_1193_zps82c00fe5.jpg

42's!!!!:lol:

cheers

Edited by monstaru

the 4.3 stock-ish is like 170 ish to 195 ish hp.

And 260 lb/ft of torque. The peak hp isn't that much better than the Subaru motor, but you're not going to get the power curve of the 4.3 out of a Subaru motor. MAYBE the 3.3 with some serious custom work......

Anyway, I'm extremely jealous that you are actually taking on this project. But don't you worry, even with the automatic, and extra weight of the 4.3 and topper, I bet my yota is faster :cool:

And 260 lb/ft of torque. The peak hp isn't that much better than the Subaru motor, but you're not going to get the power curve of the 4.3 out of a Subaru motor. MAYBE the 3.3 with some serious custom work......

Anyway, I'm extremely jealous that you are actually taking on this project. But don't you worry, even with the automatic, and extra weight of the 4.3 and topper, I bet my yota is faster :cool:

I am not worried about speed.I don't need speed.:rolleyes:

Kids these days:grin:

Naw, all I want is the torque curve.I am not talking down the $.3 :)

I have a heavy foot, with less torque I am less dangerous. :-pAt least to parts...

I have thought this out pretty well./At least I think I Have:lol:

My style of driving , compounded by the power of 200ish HP, and lots of torque equals ************ered...:-p

Same HP and lower torque equals better experience overall.

I'll go fast later.When I finish the buggy.:headbang:

cheers

DUDE WTF!?!?!

BOBBY LONG??

WHEN?

HOW??

I Have been out of the loop for too long i suppose :(

I KNOW...lames.

However.I got to wheel with Bobby's wife and son.

Tina and Chris were in great spirits because it really is better for him to be gone.

He had a ton of pain continuously.That run raised 10g's for the family.

They are a reputable business, but that only goes so far.

Sad days when icons die.

cheers

I had a thought today, which pertained to your build, and I'm curious what you're going to do about it.

Heater hoses.....sounds simple enough :-p

Well, Toyota's actually have a valve in the heater hose that adjusts the flow through the core, and that is how they adjust the temperature.

Subarus redirect the air flow around the core. Which means that there is always coolant going through those lines.

I've heard of many a Subaru-powered buggy, where they capped off those lines, and then had overheating issues, because the tstat is located at the bottom of the engine, without that circulation, it doesn't get hot correctly, and doesn't open.

Plans? Bypass? F*** the heater? Tstat relocation? Something else awesome?

I had a thought today, which pertained to your build, and I'm curious what you're going to do about it.

Well, Toyota's actually have a valve in the heater hose that adjusts the flow through the core, and that is how they adjust the temperature.

Subarus redirect the air flow around the core. Which means that there is always coolant going through those lines.

I've heard of many a Subaru-powered buggy, where they capped off those lines, and then had overheating issues, because the tstat is located at the bottom of the engine, without that circulation, it doesn't get hot correctly, and doesn't open.

Something else awesome.Super simple seperate heater core. That flows through like ours do:)

cheers

***************in build man, I had mere thoughts of doing a Subaru motor swap on my old Yota, but I never guessed how much fab would be required to do it. Also nice fab work! :headbang:

-Bill

Thanks Homie.IT is turning out to be a pain in the rump roast.But ************ it .It's what I've always wanted.

I stated earlier that I wanted to keep it as simple as possible.That got thrown out the window for sure LOL....

I WIll have to cut part of the framerail outto get it low enough to deal with the front driveline...

As soon as I get another motor in my DD I will jump back onto this beast.

Unfortunately the only motor I have is my frankenmotor from Stella.

So I will be rebuilding the existing DD EJ when I can , and It might just go in the truck for a while till I can find the time to swap them out...

cheers

The Vanagon conversion faces the same problem.  What we usually do with those is add a return H into the heater lines so if you shut the heater off the coolant can still return to the engine. 

The Vanagon conversion faces the same problem. What we usually do with those is add a return H into the heater lines so if you shut the heater off the coolant can still return to the engine.

Yeah, If you would have read what I stated,

you would see that this is a non-issue.Not concerned, it is an offroad rig.I can circumvent anything I need to.

I mean, Is this a vanagon tech thread?Umm, no.It's not.

When I finish this swap I will relocate the needed information into an associated thread of importance.As of right now,The only association will be my thoughts and feelings on the entire issue.

I need heat, I'll run an open flow heater core, Like my engine is used to..and run a series of fans in accordance with whatever my cooling needs may be.

I know it appears I would like to keep (and have said) the stock system.But only in the placement it has for body replacement value.Not necessarily the original components. :)

cheers

Edited by monstaru

• 2 weeks later...

Is it getting expensive yet? When I rebuilt my 85 axles I ended up spending around 3G, and the only upgrade I did was cryo treated 4.88 gears...  The rest was all stock replacement stuff. I'd be interested to know what your axles end up costing in the end just for reference. 

-Bill

Being frugal has helped on the hard parts.

I got a lot of stuff on sale, traded for some of it, and got some of it for gifts.I would say can't be over 1500 though......And that's with awesome rebuild parts.

It has been over a matter of a couple years too.

But, no idea really ;)

Being frugal has helped on the hard parts.

I got a lot of stuff on sale, traded for some of it, and got some of it for gifts.I would say can't be over 1500 though......And that's with awesome rebuild parts.

It has been over a matter of a couple years too.

But, no idea really ;)

probably better off not knowing  :)  

I'm gonna have to do my fronts some time as for my initial build, when I put on the v6 brakes, I just did new bearings/studs, not the full knuckle rebuild.  my rear however got all new when I did the FF conversion/upgraded shafts.

Monstaru 2 years ago I built a lifted obs on fxt struts and beat the spoob out of it in the woods using info from your stella build. Destroyed that and bought a Samurai, sold the Samurai to avoid my desire to ej205 swap it.

I've been searching for a yota for a few months now (hard to find a clean one in the northeast) and I see you post an ej powered yota on pirate... of course I had to go on usmb and find your build thread. You think the same exact way I do.

I see the ej toyota has been done. Maybe I should go on with ej205ing a Samurai with the toyota transmission/tcase now...

Sorry for the rambling story. Finish this beast.

Ok so,I have a partially put together axle from needing to go and pick up a set of calipers so's i can measure the shims properly.

A partially tubed subframe for my motor mounts.

A cut up tunnel, and nowhere to go LOL :lol:

I picked up some Super bright LED lights made by a company called Arsenal lighting.

from DC Customs.

Also got the twin stick boot I needed.

Umm, picked up a badass beer sign.

A hat, and Tshirt.

umm, Whatelse....

I think that is it.

Also I have drivelines now.That appear to have the properly drilled holes in the flanges!Bonus :P

Hrrmmmm, I think maybe,  that I Should technically be able to get back at her in a couple of days.Between my duties as an upstanding member of this community(ROFLMAO), and the need to fulfill my husbandly duties lately time has been sparce.

Damnit.But I am continuously thinking about what I can do here , or there.

The planning always takes the longest..... :lol:

And when your continuously planning , spoob can get longwinded :P

Once the motor mounts are in.I think I can move forward pretty quick.

Just learning almost anything Toyota right in front of my eyes is very fun.

And literally almost learning   everything I know about cars, I owe to this Board.

I helped my Dad change oil and spoob on his Chevy's.But besides some basic time with motor heads in high school, I doona have alot of experience.

I pushed forward, and moved as fast as I could to get to this point in my life.

I owe it to a damn NEED I have to build spoob.I love My vehicles very much while I have them.

If they are offroad vehicles, I beat them to piss.

If they are onroad vehicles,I drive them Like I stole them.

And If they are a leasure vehicle I usually don't own them :P

Sorry about the rant.

I think that I should pick up a set of calipers tomorrow.

Cheers

• Like 1

Ok so,I have a partially put together axle from needing to go and pick up a set of calipers so's i can measure the shims properly.

A partially tubed subframe for my motor mounts.

A cut up tunnel, and nowhere to go LOL :lol:

I picked up some Super bright LED lights made by a company called Arsenal lighting.

from DC Customs.

Also got the twin stick boot I needed.

Umm, picked up a badass beer sign.

A hat, and Tshirt.

umm, Whatelse....

I think that is it.

Also I have drivelines now.That appear to have the properly drilled holes in the flanges!Bonus :P

Hrrmmmm, I think maybe,  that I Should technically be able to get back at her in a couple of days.Between my duties as an upstanding member of this community(ROFLMAO), and the need to fulfill my husbandly duties lately time has been sparce.

Damnit.But I am continuously thinking about what I can do here , or there.

The planning always takes the longest..... :lol:

And when your continuously planning , spoob can get longwinded :P

Once the motor mounts are in.I think I can move forward pretty quick.

Just learning almost anything Toyota right in front of my eyes is very fun.

And literally almost learning   everything I know about cars, I owe to this Board.

I helped my Dad change oil and spoob on his Chevy's.But besides some basic time with motor heads in high school, I doona have alot of experience.

I pushed forward, and moved as fast as I could to get to this point in my life.

I owe it to a damn NEED I have to build spoob.I love My vehicles very much while I have them.

If they are offroad vehicles, I beat them to piss.

If they are onroad vehicles,I drive them Like I stole them.

And If they are a leasure vehicle I usually don't own them :P

Sorry about the rant.

I think that I should pick up a set of calipers tomorrow.

Cheers

Good read.... 

Well, we got the thinkin bout it part handled.....   :P