Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Smiley..........

monstaru

My GOODNESS!

The man has BRAINS!!!

AND- HE WANTS TO KEEP THEM IN HIS HEAD!!!

(wait until I tell my friends down in Alabama!)

"Hey Bubba!" (actually, Brian, but we'll call him "bubba" for this little foray into literative lunacy)

"I know this guy what is buldin hemself a right gnarly offroader an guess whut? Hesa goin ta wear a HELMUT for to keep hims BRAINS all up in HES HEAD!"

"toss me a beer an hold onta this here sparkplugwire wouldjanow? Much obliged there, Now dontcha get all wiggly while I crank this thing for a minute"

Right wise of you there...

903.12.0I wasn't 100% certain before, but you Sir, Have my vote.*

Carry on!

Number 1. I hate votes.

Letter B.

Piss off with your literate spin on a vernacular that could use help.

Answer III.

I Actuate the attenuation of my existence through copulation of metal and energy.

Number 4.

Anyone that says "carry on" to me better have been to my senior in rank at any given amount of time. Viewing your speech patterns through key I would guess that is not the case. I would guess aspiring writer. Which here is of no matter to me. My best friends are cunning linguists.

Keep your iterations to your self. Thanks you very much.

Oh yeah, You have obviously never spent any time down south . So maybe, just in case, I would watch who your talking to. And be careful about throwing around insults and such. That has to be bordering on an Oxymoron at that point.

Cheers

Edited by monstaru

Wow man, people take way to much serious these days.

I was just rambling on, it was supposed to be funny. Anyways, I miss ice t and cornbread. And Andouille sausage.

No offense taken, I just like to talk spoob.

But usually I keep my threads tidy'd up with cup of shut the codswallop up.

Thanks for the compliments on the rig. Much appreciated.

And this being a public forum, you are more than welcome to post anywhere. Don't let my flappers keep ya out!

cheers

• Like 2

gotcha...

Thanks Mon.

I was going to follow anyway just because I love your level of fabrication. (Just quietly, which isn't a bad idea anyway really)

Fantastic stuff!

(note to self; some humor doesn't always translate well in print, must watch myself more closely)

Please...continue your awesome creation Monstaru!

why-OH GOD WHY did you have to mention Andouille sausage! that and Boudan! and Conecuh! aauugghhh! (hurtin for it now!)

actually bought some at a store here, at least it said it was cajun sausage...it weren't.

Much Respects (from a displaced, and unrepentant Southerner)

Rebelliously,

TImothy

By the way, the building where the first confederate "Stars and Bars" was ever thought of and created (in downtown Mobile, Alabama) is now a bar, and I sat my happy but there and had me a drink (sweet tea cause I don't cotton none to al-key-haul much).

Funny really seeing as I'm half Japanese. (savor the irony).

• 2 weeks later...

Mounted an LC engineering short throw kit to keep my knuckles uncut. I guess I could have made one. But this one looks so cool.Sorry to disappoint .LOL

I also test fitted the Twin Sticks I DID make again.Work well, and shift just fine.

IMG_6179_zps443146b6.jpg

IMG_6181_zpsf465fda9.jpg

Then had to finally make some kind of progress on the steering .So I coped a 90 I had lying around and put it in. It was kinda fun because of the compound angles.

IMG_6196_zpsad3f229b.jpg

I will barely be able to pull the engine forward, and still be able to fit a steering box .lol

IMG_6197_zpsbb5e8cce.jpg

Just so you know I am still working on it.

It is fun to build.

Cheers

• Like 1

You have many Fans here in Honduras: I showed this page to some friends who are Local Mechanics, one of them is founder of one of the many Local 4X4 clubs, and they Bookmarked it, they are not members of the USMB, but they're quietly following your progress, so am I.

I thought it was worth to mention here... Amazing build!

We almost can't wait to see this Beast crawling on the Mountains!

Kind Regards.

You have many Fans here in Honduras: I showed this page to some friends who are Local Mechanics, one of them is founder of one of the many Local 4X4 clubs, and they Bookmarked it, they are not members of the USMB, but they're quietly following your progress, so am I.

I thought it was worth to mention here... Amazing build!

We almost can't wait to see this Beast crawling on the Mountains!

Kind Regards.

Thanks Jeszek. Tell your friends they are all probably ahead of me in knowledge!

however I seek it at every turn and wish to gain more in this realm!

cheers!

• Like 1

Thank you for your Kind Words!

... your friends they are all probably ahead of me in knowledge! ...

Instead, I believe that you're Teaching us good lessons, not only of great craftsmanship and inventive, but also perseverance. What you're doing, turns mechanic jobs into a work of art.

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I started looking at a mechanical steering option again lately , as you have seen previous.It took about three times before I was satisfied.But it seems to have worked out well.

imagejpg4_zpsec6356b0.jpg

imagejpg3_zps1c00bad4.jpg

imagejpg2_zps2485108d.jpg

It almost seems like the tie -rod is the wrong size.DDOn't get me wrong, I have never dealt with this type of steering until now.

And may have verry well fawked up. But the more I look at it, the more the tie rod pains me.lol

I also started fingering out the TC style steering pump for the Subaru motor. I was able to modify the aftermarket mount for the the Trail-gear offered 1450 and -1650 psi pumps. I had to inboard the moutning holes by about 5/8ths. I have no awesome pictures because it looks like spoob.lol

But I do have basic pics of it being mocked up.

imagejpg2_zpsf70f6ade.jpg

imagejpg1_zps420a6526.jpg

I also modified the stock A/C bracket by cutting it a bit. so that I mount the Alt. from the top as opposed having to slide it in from the side kinda. Know what I mean?

Flipped it over, and can run it from the other side.NICE!

cheers

Last edited by monstaru; Yesterday at 11:50 AM.

Edited by monstaru
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

nice steering box mount.  what's the pressure of a stock EJ PS pump?  I wonder how that differs from the old EA81 (non-turbo) style pump?  If I ever get to SPFI mine, I need to figure out something different for a pump...

No idea on the pressure of an existing unit. The unit I am using , that you see above is , an aftermarket Toyota unit sold by trail gear. This happens to be the 1650PSI unit. I will eventually put the hydro-assist ram on. I have it, I am just trying to get this thing useable   before I install it. Get some kinks worked out, ya know.

I bought the entire kit, used. Well, except the ram. SO I couldn't tell ya what just the pump would cost right of hand.

dbe216e65dd6d44b54ae55d6da1034e1_zps9117

This bracket I found off an Mercedes v8 at the yard. It has a star wheel bolt for adjustment at the bottom rear of this orientation.

Should work out pretty cool.

Are those wires?

2b7cb5ec9e01f7a25f4e82b7c938ffec_zpsebfc

Also , I mounted a starter, started the redo of the electrical box due to size constraints, and have the tensioner options laying on the bench for a brainstorming session.

I might be in need of a 2 prong Alternator plug if anyone has one. I can't seem to find the one I already cut for this. On to the battery  and radiator mounts here real soon. the list is getting smaller!!

cheers

Edited by monstaru

I made the adjustment bracket out of the mercedes bracket , and my own mount added onto the stock(slightly modified) A/C bracket.

THINK I have the tensioner finally figured out for the power steering pump. will finish the slot on that bracket tomorrow.

oh yeah, It has belts on it. :)

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

So, picked up a HO alternator from ACE alternators.

I also picked up a new 200 amp battery isolator. Two batteries AND an isolator.This 12 volt system should turn out great.

And I have some round 27w LED. lights coming to match the grille I have. Hopefully I can pick up a single round light grille also , that way I can see what will look better.

Either way I will have the lights to fit. :)

Pics later.

cheers

• Like 2