Ultimate Subaru Message Board

expansion chamber ??

I was just wondering if anybody's ever tried using a expansion chamber on the exhaust side as a performance upgrade I know they use them on 2 strokes bikes but I'm also starting to see them on the hi end 4 stroke race bikes our motors being so close to a motorcycle just wondering if it would give us any more punch any exhaust gurus out there with some insight ?

Well, expansion chambers are really meant to "backfeed" a pressure wave back to the combustion chamber to create a sort of valve to keep the new stuff from exiting the exhaust side, essentially turning it into a 4 stroke. :clap:

On 4 strokes (systems with valves, lol) bouncing back the pressure wave/stalling the gases exiting doesn't help when there is a valve in a way... lol

heres a link to fmf racings powerbomb pipe http://www.fmfracing.com/Products/MX/44

what would %10 do for out little motors i know it would cost a fortune to make one for our cars fmf has been making pipes for along time and can spend the money and time on r&d doing that for a little old subaru would fall under the catagory of wtf dude why it sure would be nice though

an expansion chamber first returns a negative pressure wave that helps draw out exhaust gases and also helps pull up the fresh charge from the crankcase. Some of the fresh charge is often also sucked out the exhaust port

It then returns a positive pressure wave that stuffs the charce back onto the cylinder just before the port closes, giving a supercharging effect.

The pressure waves travel at the speed of sound, so this supercharging effect normally happens over a fairly narrow rev range, giving the famous 2 stroke powerband.

It doesn't turn it into a 4 stroke, the engine still fires once every revolution.

You could probably set up a single baffle cone to aid in extraction of exhaust gases but you'd really need one per cylinder which isn't really feasible with siamese exhausts.

• 3 weeks later...