Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's running my battery down?

95 lego 5mt 185k. Recently has begun not starting after several days of rest. It will start if started daily. During investigations I have heard a mosquito like buzzing coming from the central engine bay. This is NOT the abs relay that is known to stick. It makes the buzzing sound with no key in ignition and the buzzing stops as soon as you disconnect the positive lead. I've tried lsitening at various things with a srewdriver handle but can't say for sure where it's coming from. Maybe the ignition pack? It sounds like it's dead center and top of the engine. tia.

my 95 legacy wagon makes the same sound when the key is turned two positions forward.

seems to be loudest under the intake manifold, passenger side but it could be sound being focused from another location and just appearing to be loudest there. it doesn't seem to be the coilpack, mine is disconnected.

if i take the key out the buzzing continues for a few minutes (while capacitors are draining off?) and then suddenly quiet.

there are a few large connectors underneath the intake. maybe try disconnecting one at a time to isolate it. any dash lights?

Edited by 89Ru