Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '87 Brat

epix

Well after a couple years of wanting a Subaru Brat I finally found a pretty good deal and jumped on it..

Found an 87 model (last year they were brought to the US) with 98,050 miles reportedly on the odo.. seller included the ugly bed cap,and 2 sets of jumper seats among some other extras. Should be a fun unique car.. T-Tops, 4WD, Seats in the bed.

Plan right now is to get it all cleaned up and replace some trim, bit of the interior, and paint it black with gold accents.

PbW1O.jpg

5OpiI.jpg

Loaded up and ready to go home

Tftg3.jpg

I'll be using this site to do a lot of searching, seems to be a great resource and collection of info here!!

-Pete

Truck stop was waaay over in Mt. Morris, PA.

Tom, by chance know what models/year share the front fenders? I'm going to need to replace the passenger front fender and possibly hood as there are quite a few small dents in them.

I'm from Sturgis so not too far from ya!

Hood will fit from and ea81 body car, 80-84 wagon, sedan, coupe,and 81-87 brat, or 80-88 hatch will be the same. The fenders from the same will work as well however the early years have the radio aerial on the drivers side, i think 80-82 but I'm not 100% on that. Coupe and hatch doors will also fit the brat, but must use brat window glass.

Looks to be in nice shape! congrats on the find. Noticed you said he included two sets of jump seats. Wanna get rid of one set? I have an '86 I have been playing(?) with for the past few months. Been looking for seats and a roll bar with little success. I dontknow how far north you are but there is a yard in South Indiana with a ton of old brats. Keep in touch and have fun.

Congrats on the find. I have an '86 thaat I have been playing(?) with for the past few months. I noticed you said the prior owner threw in two sets of jump seats, I have been looking for a pair of seats and a roll bar since I got my Brat, without success. I don't think you will have too much luck for fenders by ou but there is a yard in southwest Indiana that has a ton of old Subes and Brats.

Good luck and stay in touch.

Been something like 4 years now, but I have been in Mt. Morris, Pa.. Road trip for the Company I work for.

Hood will fit from and ea81 body car, 80-84 wagon, sedan, coupe,and 81-87 brat, or 80-88 hatch will be the same. The fenders from the same will work as well however the early years have the radio aerial on the drivers side, i think 80-82 but I'm not 100% on that. Coupe and hatch doors will also fit the brat, but must use brat window glass.

Yep, what he said. '82 was last year for DS antenna. Everything from the dash forward is direct swap outside of the headlight setup. But even those can be swapped around with some work..

Gas tank, (if needed), needs to be from another 4WD donor though, unless you lift it. No clearence on the FWD tanks for the rear diff.

Rear suspension parts from another 4WD are direct fit also.

When buying parts from any supplier/parts store, go with the '84 model year. The EA82 vehicles came out in '85, can get the wrong part(s) sometimes if you go with the year of yours.

I've owned 5 BRATs since I joined here, parted 2 out, sold/traded one. Still have an '85 and an '82. Have some parts, just not alot.

I have an extra hood, should have trim pieces, no tailgate trim though. Odds and ends on other parts.

Yeah, Sturgis is 1.5 - 2 hours down US-12 from here. Been over that way, just not, "there".

neither of those will work, I would probably limit the search to early ea81 cars, that advice will probably come in handy at the auto parts stores too. Advance use to always give us the wrong parts when looking up stuff for the 86 brat when we started asking for 84 stuff the computer got it right.

I'd have to pull the hood down from the rafters of the garage to take another look at it, maybe get some pics.

It's been stuffed up there for some 10 years now. But I deemed it worthy of hanging on to, so it's in good/repairable condition atleast.

You need to have atleast 10 posts on here before you can do PM's, (Private Messages), but you can email me at tomrhere at yahoo dot com. Put '87 BRAT in the subject line.

I'd be happy to have you stop over some weekend. Had a few Members on here over.

Congrats on the find. I have an '86 thaat I have been playing(?) with for the past few months. I noticed you said the prior owner threw in two sets of jump seats, I have been looking for a pair of seats and a roll bar since I got my Brat, without success. I don't think you will have too much luck for fenders by ou but there is a yard in southwest Indiana that has a ton of old Subes and Brats.

Good luck and stay in touch.

which yard in SW Indiana is it?!