Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Toyota mags...what lug nuts?

Numbchux

I've seen many pictures of Toyota alloy wheels on 6-lug converted subarus. What are people using for lug nuts? Toyota alloys use a mag-style lug nut (or most do, I own 2 sets).

I spent about an hour of down time at work (AutoZone) today looking through the dorman catalog, looking for an option. There are a very small number of 12x1.25 lug nuts, only one with a mag-seat, and it's not available in our system.

So I started looking at 12x1.5 studs (as I have 2 full sets of OEM Toyota mag nuts) to convert my brat. Couldn't find anything with a knurl that's only a bit larger, and short shoulder that was available.

I can get them from rockauto (610-275) for $0.87 each. 20.88 + shipping

I'm looking at aftermarket tonight. Summit Racing has some shank style 12x1.25, but the largest seat is about 17.5mm diameter, whereas the toyota lug nuts have a 18.5mm diameter seat. So that's out.

Anyway, seems like converting to 12x1.5 is really the only feasible option. Just wondering what people have done...

82-84 Nissan 280ZX lugs:

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-32725-611-241.aspx

Would your Toy mags accept 19mm lugs?

Found 11 of them on an 82 280zx today. PM your mailing address if you want them.

19mm shank would probably be too much (I saw those in our book....). Stock is 18.5 and it's a tight fit.

I appreciate your guys' help on finding a solution that would work, and keep it up! But, I'd REALLY like to hear from people who have done it. I've seen these wheels used more than a few times....

I've also considered just reaming a 60* taper into the wheels....and using subaru nuts...

Edited by Numbchux

I have no idea of what the shank size and everything is but I know the thread size is rite on an SVX lug nut. They used a shank style.

So, I almost didn't even believe you when I saw this post, as I was so sure SVXs were conical. But I looked on RockAuto, no listing for SVX lug nuts. hmmmm....

Well, I was out at the shop today pulling some more parts off our parts SVX, so I pulled a lug nut. Sure enough, shank seat, everything. Measured it at work, 18.3mm, about 2/10ths of a mm smaller, but I think that's within acceptable tolerances.

Bad thing, SVX is 5-lug, which means I have 20 of these. Brat is 6-lug, so I need 24. And I can't find any aftermarket listing for them, RockAuto, Dorman catalog, or the AutoZone lookup program. Those Nissan ones would be OK, but they're a 21mm hex, and the SVX ones are 19. Don't really want to mix and match on that. Lots of guys putting different wheels on their SVXs though, might be able to get a handful of lug nuts from them. Otherwise, I'll try the dealer. Even if they're spendy, I only need 4....

I am gonna come steal all your lug nuts just cause you shoulda reamed the rims >:)

LOLOL

cheers

So, I almost didn't even believe you when I saw this post, as I was so sure SVXs were conical. But I looked on RockAuto, no listing for SVX lug nuts. hmmmm....

Well, I was out at the shop today pulling some more parts off our parts SVX, so I pulled a lug nut. Sure enough, shank seat, everything. Measured it at work, 18.3mm, about 2/10ths of a mm smaller, but I think that's within acceptable tolerances.

Bad thing, SVX is 5-lug, which means I have 20 of these. Brat is 6-lug, so I need 24. And I can't find any aftermarket listing for them, RockAuto, Dorman catalog, or the AutoZone lookup program. Those Nissan ones would be OK, but they're a 21mm hex, and the SVX ones are 19. Don't really want to mix and match on that. Lots of guys putting different wheels on their SVXs though, might be able to get a handful of lug nuts from them. Otherwise, I'll try the dealer. Even if they're spendy, I only need 4....