Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Frankenmotor dyno results

presslab

You don't even want to see that one...

Pretty much held at 13ish until 5k rpm.

13:1 AFR @ WOT is just about right for a naturally aspirated motor, maybe a touch rich. Your funky torque curve is likely due to timing. The ECU is probably pulling a ton of timing due to knock, but only the turbo ECUs are smart enough to pull timing only where it need it, and not across the board.

http://www.perfectpower.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=180&Itemid=65#AFR,%20POWER%20AND%20FUEL%20ECONOMY

• 3 weeks later...

Great success!

IMG_20130224_182456_zps6c696842.jpg

123awhp/145awtq

I found out that a stock 2.5rs makes around 98/105 on their dyno, so I'm making about 25/40 better than a normal 2.5. My torque is insane now, and my fuel economy was even improved as a result of the tune. The 370cc injectors that the skeptics were dogging, actually come in to play at 4500+ WOT where the map zeroes, but most of my map is scaled negative to keep me from running rich at lower fuel requirements.

All told, yes, I have way too much time and money into the motor. I'm at about $2000 now including the labor to tune, but I also built it from the ground up with lots of new parts and know every single thing about what has gone into the engine, and what did/didn't work.

For comparison's sake, (And I know every dyno is different) a stock 2.5rs is doing 108 on a dynojet, and 120ish on a mustang dyno

• 2 months later...

Crank sensor is for ignition timing (piston position) and the cam sensor is for injection timing. The car can't run with a bad crank sensor (no spark) but I can't swear the same for the cam sensor. 

No offense, but is this something you learned on an internet forum, or something you learned from a Subaru technical manual?  There's no point in parroting untruths...  If from a technical manual, I would appreciate a reference.

It's not as simple as you say.  The link below shows how a slipped timing belt messes up the spark timing.  That doesn't agree with your statement.

http://www.4bc.org/vanagon/SSM_params_analysis.html

(And, here is a plot of the same engine, mistimed (the timing belt had slipped): 

cam_crank_mistimed.jpg 

Note that the injector and spark signal are not near the 10*BTDC timing mark used for the starting condition.) 

I can't knock the numbers.  But after all the hype I had assumed they would be higher.

There's no doubt a lot of hype in this world.  A generally accepted rule of thumb is that raising the compression one point increases horsepower 3-5%.

Sources for the sensors(subaru specific) -

My automotive engineering degree

Haynes manual (if you want I can even specify the pages, but hey, what do I know)

Subaru Factory manual

This obscure thing called google, i know people never heard of it before.

Generally speaking, depending upon the mfg, they may use either sensor for timing and injection, or both with split duties. They can also be used to check against each other for a timing belt starting to stretch, but usually by then it is too late.

No offense, but is this something you learned on an internet forum, or something you learned from a Subaru technical manual?  There's no point in parroting untruths...  If from a technical manual, I would appreciate a reference.

It's not as simple as you say.  The link below shows how a slipped timing belt messes up the spark timing.  That doesn't agree with your statement.

http://www.4bc.org/vanagon/SSM_params_analysis.html

Sources for the sensors(subaru specific) -

My automotive engineering degree

30 plus years in the business

Haynes manual (if you want I can even specify the pages, but hey, what do I know)

Subaru Factory manual

This obscure thing called google, i know people never heard of it before.

And offense taken. 

Generally speaking, depending upon the mfg, they may use either sensor for timing and injection, or both with split duties. They can also be used to check against each other for a timing belt starting to stretch, but usually by then it is too late.

Edited by nipper

BTW it is great to see all these dyno curves. I will have to bookmark this for when people ask me if i know where any are.

Good seeing them all compared, granted different machines, but close enough for comparison sake.

Ops i meant no offense taken. Anyone here who knows me knows i never "parrot" things on the net, just that term is sort of insulting. i am honest and give the sources, provide when asked, or (shock) am honest enough to say I don't know or admit i learned something. 

:)

I was also sort of surprised the numbers were so low at the rear wheels, I thought they would be a little higher. 

Ops i meant no offense taken. Anyone here who knows me knows i never "parrot" things on the net, just that term is sort of insulting.

I apologize for that.  Although everyone seems to repeat that the crank sensor is used for spark timing, everything I see shows the opposite.  I really would like to understand the truth behind this, so any references you have would be appreciated.

• 2 years later...

Putting this here for posterity. #'s for the ORIGINAL Member's post #1 as they weren't posted and when the pics die so does the data:

Block/Heads

EJ25D/EJ22E frankenmotor w/Delta 220 cams
HP: 128.31
Torque: 133.12

EJ251/EJ22E frankenmotor, stock cams
HP: 118.42
Torque: 129.4

BTW, My Googling shows the Mustangs read LOWER than a Dynojet dyno.

Thanks
Td

Edited by wtdash