Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 gl ignition issue?

I have an 86 gl fwd sedan, weber conversion, put a NAPA fuel pump in the other day and now I get nothing when I turn the key. Charged the battery, cleaned the battery terminals, made sure they were tight. checked the fusible links. Any ideas? Thanks, D

Check the back of the ignition switch with a multimeter. Easy to get to and pops out with two screws. I had a connection fail there once on my brat and it did similar things. If not that, then just track down the source of the break/short with the multimeter stating at the battery.

did you unhook the battery before you installed the pump? if not Id check the actual fuse block for blown fuses. id probably check that anyway before pulling out the meter, even if you unhooked the battery.

theres also may be a relay that is designed to shut off the motor if the car flips to prevent gas from leaking out. Might be worth checking if the fuses and ignition check out.

If you aren't getting power to the dash when you turn the key to the RUN position then the fusible links need to be checked. You may have blown one out. Use a meter to verify power is getting to the protected side of the link. The trouble could also be with the wire from the battery to the links. If that area is ok then you need to see if power is getting to the ignition switch.

Thanks for the advice, I think i'll change the fusible links for good measure, re-check the battery connections at both ends, then check all the fuses, then learn how to use a multi-meter. YAY! this is my step daughter's car and I can't get mine back until it's fixed.

Thanks again for the info, i'll post results.

D