Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cheap Clutch vs. Expensive Clutch...

So I'm looking on ebay for a clutch for my '97 Legacy GT 2.5 wagon and there are a dizzying array of choices. Most of the ad pictures look the same and even the wording of ads is identical in many cases. The prices for a complete clutch kit run from $89(!) up to $3-400. I believe you get what you pay for in many cases, but can anyone help me understand what the differences between the cheap and the pricy ones might be? I'm just looking for an OE-type replacement clutch, not anything high performance or heavy duty or anything.

Exedy. Also named Daikin.

Great quality. A supplier for many mfgs.

Their kits come with pressure plate and nose bearing.

You also need a throwout bearing and the two clips that go on it. The clips are oem only AFAIK.

For an 07 2.5I i paid about $200 for everything and that was three years ago.

O.

If you get a real Valeo kit (not the eBay knockoffs) they can be good clutches. I got the cheapo Valeo kit on eBay (Valeo pressure plate and some knockoff clutch disc and bearings) and it lasted 10k miles and was shuddering so bad you could hardly drive the car. Replaced it with a Duralast kit (Valeo in a different box) from autozone and it has been fine. It actually had a Valeo disc and pressure plate, and japanese bearings. No signs of shuddering yet and I have about 15k on it now.

Bought an Exedy kit for my 95 project but only have about 10 miles on it. Exedy is a good quality kit though.

If you get a real Valeo kit (not the eBay knockoffs) they can be good clutches. I got the cheapo Valeo kit on eBay (Valeo pressure plate and some knockoff clutch disc and bearings) and it lasted 10k miles and was shuddering so bad you could hardly drive the car. Replaced it with a Duralast kit (Valeo in a different box) from autozone and it has been fine. It actually had a Valeo disc and pressure plate, and japanese bearings. No signs of shuddering yet and I have about 15k on it now.

Bought an Exedy kit for my 95 project but only have about 10 miles on it. Exedy is a good quality kit though.

I had been getting "Blue Gorilla" or something kits at local parts store for like 250.00 that came with Valeo clutch disc and pressure plate. The Valeo kits I'd get off Ebay and pay ythe extra 20 to get all American/Japanese parts were like 150.00.

No experience with Exedy. Lots of Sachs but that is in VW's.