Ultimate Subaru Message Board

03 OB tried to lock me out today!

OK, when I fly my RC planes and it's cold enough out that I roll up the windows on the sube I always put the keys on the roof- just in case.

Today, keys on the roof, one back door opened, putting something in the car, I hear *click*.

Uh-huh- the doors just locked. I did notice and unlocked them manually, but had I not, and had I left the keys in the ignition, it would have been a looong walk to a phone.

It was not initiated by the fob, as there was no 'beep', just the sound of the lock motors.

All I can think of is I just happened to touch the outer skin of the door at that moment and sent a static charge into the panel, but that seems unlikely. I was standing on damp grass at the time.

Thoughts?

I always carry a spare key in my wallet. Depending on car , it may not work the ignition, but it will get me in.

Just a habit I've been in for a little over 30 years.

It has saved me more than once.

O.

I too, have carried spare door/ignition car keys in my wallet for many years. You just never know when you may loose a key, or even misplace at home, and you need a key like right now. Doing this has saved me many times.

Hard to say how, or why your car locked itself. Stuff just happens some days.

I believe there is a connector behind the driver's kick panel, the area infront of the sill, below the hood release, that is used to enable/disable 'passive' locking. You could disable yours if you want.

note, I'm not CERTAIN of the location, but fairly sure of the option.

What is passive locking?

I'd hate 'passive locking', would drive me nuts.

The left rear door was open at the time, and I was leaning into the car.

If it was RF looking like the fob, the car would have chirped as normal when hitting the fob.

It's a weird one, alright.

Dave: Open the pod bay doors, HAL.

HAL: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Assuming all your doors locked. On my 95 lego the driver's side lock lever sometimes short circuits and locks all the other doors, but the DS stays unlocked. Its never happened but if the DS was locked and another door was unlocked I suppose I could be screwed if the short happened. Sometimes I can wiggle the DS lock and cause it to happen. I think taking the DS lock apart might reveal a flaky component.

Edited by 89Ru
add something relevant